My replacement engine won't start?

giannid

Reaction score
I purchased a good running 444e out of a school bus to replace my worn out 7.3. Took my old engine and the replacement over to a local shop, Rosewood diesel to swap the parts over from my old engine to the new engine. I used the hpop from the International as it was running well. The injectors were also rebuilt while he had it. Along with the swap I had a new oem fuel pump, uvc harnesses, valve cover gaskets replace. Also had the hpop and fuel bowl orings swapped out while he had. Finally got finished putting it back in the truck and this thing will not start. I've been trying to start it all day. I filled the oil rails and hpop reservoir up with oil and checked to make sure they have oil. Cracked the oil rail plugs and they seem to be filled with oil. Even swapped out the IPR out after awhile thinking that could be the problem. The glow plugs are cycling normally and the wait to start light is coming on. Unfortunately, I don't have a scan tool. Anyone have any suggestions? I've been cracking the heck out of this thing. I crank for about 20 seconds and let it cool for a minute and do 3 to four cycles before I have to recharge the batteries. Pretty frustrated right now and can't call the diesel shop as it's not open today. When I purchased the engine I heard it run and drove it. Also checked the compression on it and all cylinders were good. I'm hoping it went back together right as that's why I didn't want to do it myself.

giannid

Reaction score
Yes it is. I cracked it open and fuel squirted everywhere. Drained it one time and let it refill. Also installed a schrader valve and checked the fuel pressure and it seems to be about 70 psi while I'm cranking. The fuel pressure does bleed off though after it sits for some reason. I'm not sure it's because I have a cheap gauge or that's what it does. Always has 70 psi while cranking though.

giannid

Reaction score
Forgot to add I had them do the injector cups while the engine was out. Also did the entire front cover seals, oil cooler, and rear main.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Are you hearing the injectors cackle while cranking? I bet you just haven't built oil psi yet

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Last 7.3 I did I believe I cranked for a minute and 20 seconds straight. This is of course after 6 30 second key on cycles to get fuel to injectors

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Injector cackle can be heard while cranking in the cab, if need be, jump the starter relay on passenger side inner fender with key on.

Do not be afraid to crank man

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
What year truck? You either have a relay on the inner fender behind battery, or a thick wire that's up by the heater box. Jump power to smaller post with 90 degree connector if you have relay, or just jump the big wire that goes down to starter after you disconnect it

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Fuel pump shuts off after certain time, that's why your seeing psi drop

ToMang07

Reaction score
What voltage is it putting out while cranking? if it's below 10.5v it won't fire. Are you getting any smoke out the tailpipe?

giannid

Reaction score
Truck is a 2001. It doesn't seam like Im hearing the injectors. I'm thinking the high pressure oil system is building pressure. Cranked it again this afternoon for awhile. I'm hoping they didn't mess up the o rings on the injectors on there way back in or something wasn't put back together on the hpop when it got resealed. There's no way I should have to crank this thing this much. The engine, injectors and hpop were all good.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
20 seconds of crank time, even if you did that 3 times, isn't enough.

Charge the batteries, keep the charger on, and crank the piss out of it...

giannid

Reaction score
I've been cranking the piss out of it most of the day. Something is not right with it. The cps is about 6 months and is from ford. The tach is moving also while cranking. I have no scan tool so I cant monitor the ips. Did trying to start it with the icp unplugged and all's that it did was keep the service engine soon light on while cranking. Trying to get someone with a scanner. Obviously it's something I'm going to need to service these 7.3's so I may look into buying one after this disaster is over.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Well your fuel is not full of oil right? So we can kinda 86 the injector seals.

If you were getting the necessary amount of high pressure oil, you'd be hearing the injectors cackling. Tachs moving so we can assume the cam sensor is sending feedback...

Latest posts

Members online