My Stage 1 DuraStroke Thread

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
my truck will not spin at 70... it would do it up until about 30 mph....... I wish it would do a 70mph burnout.... the turbo will be used hard on friday, I will be towing about 175 miles with the camper and a truck load of firewood....... I will hopefully be able to get some pics and video, if there is wifi at the campground maybe I will post up the pics and video. the route will be 81 to 70 to 68 thru md.... get off at keysers ridge and take 40 to the campgound. there are some pretty mean hills on 68.. I blew my hgs hauling the camper and a truck load of wood up Sideling Hill which is about a 2 mile hill at 8-10% grade..... soory for the confusion... I would never embellish test results.... esp trying to say that my truck would spin at 70mph.

Coming up out of Lavale should show a lot too, as that is about a 7+ mile climb at the same grade as Sideling Hill.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Your not going to have any trouble at all.Just had a buddy of mine tow with a 03 dually crew 4x4 from Memphis to the other side on Alabama.Keep speed at 70-80 the whole time grades and all.Hightest egt 1170 on looney wild(still kept race tune in),mpg hand cal 13.3,tow weight 23000lbs.I also have a guy testing towing with the stage 1,he runs a business moving things all over.He not have a single problem,oh did I mention that he's doing it on Ford stock tune.These turbos are towing monsters,as well as performance.Keep up the good work.

colo_dually

Reaction score
To OP, thanks for the feedback. This is the turbo I have my eye's on right now.

Twan, 30# was posted earlier in thread, not sure about it holding at higher RPMs, but there's no doubt its pushing a lot more air.

rentstdi

Reaction score
If you are loosing boost at a higher rpm I would look into your exhaust back pressure and make sure nothing is leaking it the "drive" system...

Twan

Reaction score
My bad, worded that wrong, boost while running down the road, woundering if it's higher lower than before, I know it's kinda hard to tell a few psi.

F-250-Owner

Reaction score
well Im back.. the turbo did well on the hills considering the load I had on it. I am still battling a leaky uppipe..... I also had a locked up rear caliper on the way home, which took out the rotor, shoes, caliper and welded the slide pins in place, so now I need a new bracket as well. my goal was to keep the egts at or below 1250 the whole trip which was easily achieved, even on the steep hills. It did pull way better and didnt burn as much fuel coming back without the load of wood on it, so from now on, I will just buy wood locally with the price of diesel. I am sure once I update my tuning and get this up pipe figured out this thing will be even more of a beast to tow with.....I t was nice to crest those hills at 65 and drifting down the other side....... Thanks again to Adrian for letting me test this turbo.....

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
F250owner called me and asked about some sort of squeqing noise.I asked him to chech uppipe and then check the turbo housing for movement.I had a guy helping me welding the housings.The housing he was welding have been failing on me three to be exact.I have been paying for shipping both ways and have fixed the problems,I have also gotten rid of guy,and I'm welding everything myself.This buisness thing is new to me, but I beleive in customer service,so even if I get behind in orders thats the way it will be,I will be handling all the work,that way if there is blame its on me.Thanks Adrian

colo_dually

Reaction score
You're handling it right there, Adrian.

I figured you'd have a couple of kinks here and there as you work out the quality control and design. Keep us posted.

Mdub707

Reaction score
All of this "testing" and hardly any numbers in here... not exactly the feedback I was looking for.

Do you have any backpressure readings? I'm assuming we're not going to see any 1/4 mile times if you've never even done a boosted launch? Are you planning on getting updated tunes any time for this turbo to see what it's really capable of? It'd be nice to know how it works with tunes designed for it.

So far we have some boost numbers, but it's not even the correct tuning, so who knows what it will really put out... and some EGT readings, without the updated tuning again.

No vids?

windrunner408

Reaction score
I have to say that I agree here. This thread is pretty empty. Just a lot of random tid bits that dont really tell anything. How about an actual review that breaks things down like into categories such as initial driving impressions on how the truck felt; WOT run with whatever tune you want (just say what it is) and what the EGTs and boost levels were; towing with weight of load, distance traveled, mpg before, mpg after, avg EGTs, highest EGTs seen, some videos of the road while towing; MPG increase or decrease. Something more than what you threw up here. Not trying to bash or anything here but am just saying that there isnt anything substaniating here IMO.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I got 1.16:1-1.3:1 on the back pressure @ WOT, a 150-250 degree drop in EGT's and an average MPG increase of 2 mpg across the board. I also made 485rwhp and 965rwtq. I do not have track times. This was with the stage 2 and a tune written for the stock turbo. I've seen too many of these empty threads with guys just throwing how they like the way it feels out there, so I've started working on putting a Stage 1 in the hands of a very distinguished diesel mechanic with all the resources to answer all the questions on the stage 1. He will provided BP, MPG, boost gains ( what it'll hold @ Wot) and a variety of other parameters. He will also be giving direct before and after dyno numbers and we can probably twist his arm into going to the track. I'm also currently working very closely with Vivian at quick tricks and Bill at PHP to dial in any and all special tuning to get the absolute most from these turbo's. The reason it's taking longer than we planned is simply that my club is also hosting the Morgan Wildman Charity Event with the gracious help of PHP this month. The event is to raise money for Morgan's family and her cancer treatment so we're Friggin' covered up right now. I am working to give you the info you want, real info that matters. The GPDA will soon be running 4 MTW turbo's, a Stage1, Stage1 with Bat-mo-wheel, Stage 2 and I'll be trying a new "experimental" not yet released hybrid stage 2. I'm doing the best I can for you guys, just bear with me. Let me get thru the charity event and all my focus will be back on these turbo's. I should get my hybrid stage 2 in the mail this week, you guys can contact Adrian and tell him to hurry, the faster I get the turbo the faster I can work out the tuning and give a review. My mechanic should have his Stage1 this weekend and first of next week the Stage 2 will be up and running as well. We'll satisfy your thirst for knowledge, cause that's how I roll bitches.

Last edited:

F-250-Owner

Reaction score
once it gets back and evrything is good to go.... I will get numbers, it was on my truck for about a month..... the first time I towed with it, it broke. As for the tuning... it is a drop in turbo that does not need updated tuning... I shot about 20 seconds of video going up the first "test hill" thats when it sounded like the compressor wheel was making contact with the housing, after that I called Adrian.... I didnt realize it at the time, because he suggested that it could be the up pipe making the noise. turns out it wasnt, luckily I got it home. I just got my scan gauge 2 and will be loading the xgauges on it for numbers.........

windrunner408

Reaction score
Define what you mean by "electric" Matt. Please. VGT turbos in general are electrically controlled/operatred.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I got 1.16:1-1.3:1 on the back pressure @ WOT, a 150-250 degree drop in EGT's and an average MPG increase of 2 mpg across the board. I also made 485rwhp and 965rwtq. I do not have track times. This was with the stage 2 and a tune written for the stock turbo. I've seen too many of these empty threads with guys just throwing how they like the way it feels out there, so I've started working on putting a Stage 1 in the hands of a very distinguished diesel mechanic with all the resources to answer all the questions on the stage 1.

I appreciate your input, but that's for the stage 2 turbo. We're interested in the stage 1 for this thread.

It seemed like when you guys were looking for someone to test the stage 1 there was a lot of criteria, and a lot of trucks to choose from. F-250-owner was chosen specifically, I guess I was just expecting more reporting from his testing than what has been shown. There were a lot of trucks to choose from...

Why do you have to put one in the hands of someone else, a diesel mechanic buddy, isn't that what we were supposed to be getting here???

I understand there have been issues now, but he did have it on for over a month. No way of monitoring BP? No drag times? I mean real world use can be very helpful, but we haven't exactly got a lot from that either. Don't know the weight of the setup being towed (we can rough guess based on the size of his camper I guess), some EGT numbers I guess, but not even with updated tunes.

F-250-Owner, this isn't a knock on you. I know you're just doing what you planned to do all along, and you were chosen for a reason, I just hope we see some more data when you get it back! :popcorn:

As far as this being a "drop-in" turbo, I don't doubt that, but is no one planning on getting updated tunes anyways to get the full potential? Seems like we would be leaving a little on the table without doing so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.