My steering is hooooooorible

Majorpecs

Reaction score
Okay let's try PSA and see if I can get this resolved. I have a new to me (2 months) e99 f250 4x4 ec long bed.

I'm slowly fixing things up and I really really need to address the steering. While on the highway I can let off the wheel and it tracks straight down the road but any bumps/uneveness in the road and the wheel moves side to side alot. The turning radius is about like a barge in the bay..horrible....

I've read that there is a screw I can adjust that will tighten the steering up, but then I've also read that you should NOT adjust this screw.

Any thoughts on this?

2nd issue: my gear shifter is a gear off...so like when I'm in park it sits almost on Neutral etc...is there a cable I can adjust to line this back up? (purely aesthetic, it drives me crazy)

JLDickmon

Reaction score
Okay let's try PSA and see if I can get this resolved. I have a new to me (2 months) e99 f250 4x4 ec long bed.

I'm slowly fixing things up and I really really need to address the steering. While on the highway I can let off the wheel and it tracks straight down the road but any bumps/uneveness in the road and the wheel moves side to side alot. The turning radius is about like a barge in the bay..horrible....

I've read that there is a screw I can adjust that will tighten the steering up, but then I've also read that you should NOT adjust this screw.

Any thoughts on this?

2nd issue: my gear shifter is a gear off...so like when I'm in park it sits almost on Neutral etc...is there a cable I can adjust to line this back up? (purely aesthetic, it drives me crazy)

Couple of them.
I'd jack up the front end and shake it down for loose tie rods, bad ball joints, loose wheel bearings, etc.
If all was OK, THEN I would adjust the box.
Now, I'll warn you, don't get to crazy on the adjustment, or you'll screw up the 'over-center' feel of it and it won't track straight then.
run it up until it JUST starts to feel snug, then back it off about three hairs worth, and hold it while you tighten the nut down.

Oh yeah, and your PRNDL cable.. There is an adjustment on he cable, just make sure it's looped over all the little guides

Last edited:

BMac

Reaction score
The track Bar is the one that looks like it holds the axle centered...should be easy to spot

As for adjusting the steering box, i've adjusted mine because there was too much play and it helped alot...i'm assuming i'll have to replace mine sooner the later as the only reason there should be that much play is it is wearing out

07_powerstroke

Reaction score
I used a pry bar on my track bar and nothing moved... I had someone move the steering wheel back and forth while i watched and could feel it move alot...

Latest posts

Members online