My summer project

JMart

Reaction score
I am out of school for the summer and for the first time in as far as I can remember I have the summer off with nothing to do. I am still working part time, but its mostly just Fridays and Sundays. I decided to tear down my front end, paint it, and put it back together with a 4" Zone Offroad lift, Fuel Revolvers, and 35" General Grabbers.

I ordered the lift last Monday (6/2/14) and UPS dropped it off Thursday while I was at work. They dumped it onto my patio over the railing. Two of the boxes were blown apart when my wife got home. It looked like they were already taped back together once. She was able to pull everything in the living room for me. When I got home, I had to open everything to make sure nothing was missing.

20140606_071340_zps6nyhjh2t.jpg

The truck was already in the garage so there wasn't any room to do this in there.

20140604_135252_zpstssksj4m.jpg

Day one. I got the wheels off and moved all my parts into the garage. The bed of the truck is full of boxes and my parts are laid out in their respective areas.

20140609_132913_zpsgaknqdcn.jpg

I found why I had some black stuff on the outside of my passenger wheel. Anybody got any tips for doing tierods? At the rate I am going they should be here before I am done.

20140610_124133_zps7n58v5zb.jpg

I am thinking something is wrong here. Both sides look like this, but I am sure these are not supposed to hang out like that. Any tips on fixing those?
20140610_125332_zpszltae2yr.jpg

On day one I got through 7 of the 40 steps in the instructions for the lift and only had to make two trips to the store. My air compressor hose developed a hole in it. After fixing that the manifold cracked. So now I don't have an air compressor, which means I don't have a spray gun and this gallon of black paint isn't going to be used. Now I am not going to be painting it while it is apart. I don't want to buy another cheap ass air compressor and I have already replaced the manifold in this one once before. That cuts out half of my project. I guess the paint will have to wait.

From here on out everything is done by hand. :baul

05wh250

Reaction score
Pretty sure you have to pull the axles to replace them. They do have upgraded ones out. I put some rtv on them just to hold them still. Looks like a great project!

JMart

Reaction score
Those are dust covers. Both of mine were popped out on my '08 4wd. Not important but they do serve a purpose.

Pretty sure you have to pull the axles to replace them. They do have upgraded ones out. I put some rtv on them just to hold them still. Looks like a great project!

Cool looks like they are staying that way then.

Didn't make a whole lot of progress today. Fighting old and rusty nuts and bolts mostly. That and a few of them that are torqued to crazy amounts makes things a little slow when working by hand without a lift.

Old springs out sitting next to a new spring for comparison.
20140610_155018_zpscroxjebp.jpg

These shocks should have been replaced a long time ago. I ended up cutting the bolts off with my sawzall because I got tired of F'ing with them.

20140610_160721_zpsvnesmbuj.jpg

One of the brackets is in. The front hole didn't quite match up. Anybody that knows my luck with aftermarket parts should know I have common issues with stuff like this. A little adjustment with a step bit and I got in bolted on.

20140610_191746_zpsgdwrgztp.jpg

I won't mess with it tomorrow, working one of the rare weekday parties. I did get to step 20 though, so I should be about half way there.

JMart

Reaction score
Looking good!

Thanks
It's funny that you pop in here. You are the one that had me all motivated to tear this thing down and paint it. Oh well, maybe I will through some rattle can on it. Can't look worse than it does right.

JMart

Reaction score
I got a little more done today. I didn't think I would have any time, but the wife ended up working late, so I had a few hours.

Before I started today. Flexing?
20140611_162715_zpsqmmjlfgg.jpg

I got the other bracket on and was able to get both spring and the shocks mounted. I almost didn't have enough clearance to get the springs in, then I realized it was easier to get them on if the pads were on the truck instead of the springs. Its too bad Tim took down Built with Blood, I really shed some today. A shot to the head will do that I guess.
20140611_193741_zpslcrywvkz.jpg

I had to run to the store and get a bolt that was too damaged to go back on. I should have the front finished tomorrow if I can track down a torque wrench that goes over 400 ft lbs for the track bar. I found a rental place that has one but I have to call to see if it's in stock when I need it.

So far my tally is 3 trips to the store, two blows to the head, two smashed pinky fingers, and a knee that popped out of place. I hope I survive this project.

JMart

Reaction score
I got the front finished today. I hung off the end of a 2.5' breaker bar so that should be around 465 ft lbs on that track bar nut. Everything else was torqued to spec. I only damaged one finger today, so I should be able to survive finishing the rear.

Most level place I could find around here.
20140612_171209_zpskl6olfqo.jpg

20140612_171239_zpsbdupmqqd.jpg

20140612_171302_zpsxfmvgcxl.jpg

2000wa250

Reaction score
Man I hate to hear about the manifold breaking....out of curiosity, when you replaced it before was it with OEM part? Or a cheap replacement? I know when my compressor **** the bed I was able to find the parts I needed for it online. Found cheaper ones that were made in china, and found more expensive ones (almost double) for made in USA. spent the coin and got the USA ones. With the price of compressors these days, I've figured out that its much easier and cheaper to replace parts as they break with quality then to buy a new compressor that may be sub par quality

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2000wa250

Reaction score
Oh and the truck is gonna look killer. I feel for ya on the lack of air tools, installing my lift was what made me buy a compressor....way too much of a pita without one.

JMart

Reaction score
Oh and the truck is gonna look killer. I feel for ya on the lack of air tools, installing my lift was what made me buy a compressor....way too much of a pita without one.

It was a cheap replacement I found online, but it is a cheap Lowe's brand compressor. I want a bigger unit but I can't have the outlet installed in my apartment.

Truck looks great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I still have some plans for it after this. Hopefully work picks up and I can get some more stuff done this summer.

2000wa250

Reaction score
I know the feeling man! Not sure how big the tank is on yours, but might be worth just looking for either a new higher quality manifold that either works or you can make work, or just a new compressor and install it onto your existing tank.good quality, long lasting units cost an arm and a leg and sometimes a first born these days. I know when I had problems with mine I priced out just some new compressor units and it was considerably cheaper to buy a compressor by itself. Hell there are some guys on the internet that have repurposed (sometimes multiple) fridge compressors and used existing tanks with supposed success. Nice benefit to that is those compressors are extremely quiet, just never really felt confident that they could supply 120+ psi.

JMart

Reaction score
I know the feeling man! Not sure how big the tank is on yours, but might be worth just looking for either a new higher quality manifold that either works or you can make work, or just a new compressor and install it onto your existing tank.good quality, long lasting units cost an arm and a leg and sometimes a first born these days. I know when I had problems with mine I priced out just some new compressor units and it was considerably cheaper to buy a compressor by itself. Hell there are some guys on the internet that have repurposed (sometimes multiple) fridge compressors and used existing tanks with supposed success. Nice benefit to that is those compressors are extremely quiet, just never really felt confident that they could supply 120+ psi.

Thanks, I might check into it. There is a fabricator in our local group that I might check to see if he can make me one too. I will need to get something going before I get my bumpers for sure so I can spray them.

Latest posts

Members online