Nate's Version Of The Stage 3 (MTW Stage 3.5)

windrunner408

Reaction score
Just when you thought the craziness was starting to reach a plateau, the Mad Turbo Werks Team has FINALLY left the reservation and have entered the unknown frontier of TRUE custom turbo building.

We were getting ready to head to Deep South Dyno event in Dallas, GA and I had asked Adrian to update the Hackey Sack Turbo to the Stage 3 for me with an updated turbine end. Well as things would have it, the wheel that Adrian was planning to use in the turbo turned out to be trash (looked like a beaver was chewing on the turbine wheel LOL) and other measures had to be resorted too so I could take my truck and run it for him. I showed him a dimension, he made an emergency machining appointment, and about three hours later we officially left the plotted turbo maps and entered a whole new uncharted realm.

I'm not gonna say much as I will leave that up to Adrian, but just know that so far this is the biggest turbine wheel stuffed into ANY light duty diesel VGT turbo (powerstroke, duraturd, and cummings). I put the turbo on the truck and took it for a spin with my favorite Stage 3 tune and all I can say is that I have no idea what this thing will do on the dyno, as it really needs some tuning. As always, we will post results when we get them.

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Hope it's the 77mm out of a non VGT 4088/r4094 . That thing is a freakin monster. Good luck Nate let's see 7 on fuel!

Superblazin

Reaction score
Just when you thought the craziness was starting to reach a plateau, the Mad Turbo Werks Team has FINALLY left the reservation and have entered the unknown frontier of TRUE custom turbo building.

We were getting ready to head to Deep South Dyno event in Dallas, GA and I had asked Adrian to update the Hackey Sack Turbo to the Stage 3 for me with an updated turbine end. Well as things would have it, the wheel that Adrian was planning to use in the turbo turned out to be trash (looked like a beaver was chewing on the turbine wheel LOL) and other measures had to be resorted too so I could take my truck and run it for him. I showed him a dimension, he made an emergency machining appointment, and about three hours later we officially left the plotted turbo maps and entered a whole new uncharted realm.

I'm not gonna say much as I will leave that up to Adrian, but just know that so far this is the biggest turbine wheel stuffed into ANY light duty diesel VGT turbo (powerstroke, duraturd, and cummings). I put the turbo on the truck and took it for a spin with my favorite Stage 3 tune and all I can say is that I have no idea what this thing will do on the dyno, as it really needs some tuning. As always, we will post results when we get them.
How did you do Nate?

windrunner408

Reaction score
Well we got the turbo on the truck and I started it up and took the truck out for a test drive and I couldn't get it to spool the turbo to save its life. Turbo felt like it was flowing more at given boost levels but it felt like it was REALLY hesitant. I didn't get on to the turbo because I didn't really know what was going on with everything and for all I knew, the truck felt like it did when I put the Stage 3 on and tried to run it with a performance tune for a Stock turbo down low so I just let it go and put the truck on the trailer so we could get on the road and go to the dyno event.

Well about 3/4 of the way there, the truck towing mine lost an injector due to the hold down loosening and blowing the seals so we had to pull the truck off the trailer and pull the towing truck and trailer to a truck stop so we could continue on to the dyno event and come back when it was done.

On the way there, spool up was horrible and EGTs could 1300F without even trying while running down the highway. In fact, I ran the truck at like 80-85mph to keep the turbo spooled.

On the dyno, the guy operating the truck for me had a VERY tough time getting it to light. In fact, out of four attempts, he only got the turbo to light twice and when it did, it was when the truck was over 90 mph and I put down 559 and 558hp with 38-39 psi of boost. Well after we were done we were definitely scratching our heads because we know that this truck has more in it than that but the turbo just wasn't allowing it to come out.

So we load up, start the truck back up, and start driving home; and immediately the turbo starting responding better and after about 5 mins in some more stop and go traffic, the turbo was responding and spooling quicker than the Stage 3 and building boost as fast as the stock turbo. I wanted to head back and redyno but we had a truck that was 100 miles away that needed to be fixed so that was the priority unfortunately. We stopped about 15 miles away for Adrian to get some coolant for his truck so I shut mine down and loaded up my Xtreme X tune that I had because it had better tranny shifting for the way the turbo would behave and I drove the rest of the way home. I don't know if the truck has been learning or not but it feels WAY stronger than it ever did with the Stage 3 before and spools up super fast. I'm gonna get some videos of it here in the next day or two and I'll post em up to show how responsive the turbo is. I know right now my fuel economy is WAY up and the truck just sounds so good and is even more quiet. In fact the drone that my stack made when I was doing about 72mph has almost gone away.

So while the dyno event was a bust, we did get some good data logging done with the Stage 2 (w/billet wheel) towing 16k on Vivian's tow tune and we learned some more about what does what with turbos. We'll get numbers on this and post em up. I know when I was driving the Stage 3 around before, I had serious doubts as to whether or not it could work well as a towing turbo but after doing this turbine mod, I have no doubts now that this will make an excellent towing setup with 190/100s.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Yea I REALLY want to go get a live tow tune. Just got back from filling the tank up and I am now getting over 17 mpg with mixed driving. I was getting about 15.5-16 mpg at best before with the Hackey Sack turbo and my Looney Wild tune (which was better than Eric's Xtreme X). This is with Eric's Xtreme X tune that I was based off Briar's live tune for the Stage 3. So far the truck definitely has more balls down low and is a real animal on the street. The truck had balls with the Stage 3 before but now it really does and the low end is really improved. I am VERY excited to see what this thing can do on both a dyno and the track when I get my tranny. Right now I'm going to be working on some supporting mods to help with traction.

strokin6L

Reaction score
awesome....great news Nate. I was kinda worried about the mod when you first mentioned about the turbo not spooling. However, it seems like it was just a learning thing with it. Definitly keep me posted about how it does....as i will be upgrading to the stage 3 in the spring. Not sure if your new turbine wheel mod will work with these 190/75's tho.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Sorry Chris, I was tired when I wrote my first response about the turbo. The super slow spooling and failing to light off was due to a stuck VGT actuator. It must have gotten something in there when I cleaned the center section and then freed itself when we were trying to get it the turbo to light off on the dyno.

I really think 190/75s would work just fine for this turbo. I wanna try like 175/100s or 175/75s and see how it does.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Yea my dyno numbers were from a dynojet (I think 248) dyno (whatever one has the biggest drum anyways is what I was told).

Latest posts

Members online