Need a willing member to do some camshaft testing...

Straubtech

Reaction score
My name is Chris Straub. After you have read this please Google me... and no I am not the clothing designer Chris Straub.

Looking for someone that has a dual purpose truck. Weekdays it is loading and moving stuff. On the weekend you play at the drag strip or do some pulling with it. Looking for a rig with un-ported heads to base cam profile on. Need someone with access to dyno that can get recorded numbers before and after cam swap. Will NOT need to fly cut pistons. This will be a true cam swap.

My Duramax cam only change netted an average gain 90HP and 200#/ft compared to the competitions cam that was in the truck.

Thank you,

Chris

Fox hunt

Reaction score
Was your competitions cams better or worse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Dang... that is a lot of work to do a before/after dyno test with JUST a cam change. The cams are not easy to change on these trucks.

521turbo

Reaction score
Read about him on Yellow bullet, he knows how to make some serious power. I think the Diesel world could use some guys like this. These guys don't grind cams in stages, 1 2 3 ect, these will be designed for your applications, the rpm you want to run, gears, tires size, weight ect.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a cam change...but want way more lift/flow than a "no valve reliefs required" cam will give.

sootie

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a cam change...but want way more lift/flow than a "no valve reliefs required" cam will give.

Ivan-at what point do you get enough lift and duration that the actual head casting is the flow restriction?

Extended Power

Reaction score
Ivan-at what point do you get enough lift and duration that the actual head casting is the flow restriction?

No idea....but there's no sense in having the amount of flow limited by valves that aren't open to their full potential.
Low lift just creates back pressure, higher velocity, and mixing...
Opening the valves further, sooner, and holding them open longer without too much overlap, should pack more air into each cylinder.

Think of holding your thumb over the end of a garden hose.
You increase pressure, and velocity the more you try to squeeze the end shut.
The more you release your thumb, the more VOLUME the hose flows....
Did you increase the size of the hose? Nope.

What happens when you increase the water supply pressure, and try to hold the end shut?
What happens when you slowly release your thumb from the end?
Your thumb is acting like the valves in the cylinder heads.
The more air you have available, the more the heads will flow...to a point.
What that point is...no idea.

sootie

Reaction score
No idea....but there's no sense in having the amount of flow limited by valves that aren't open to their full potential.
Low lift just creates back pressure, higher velocity, and mixing...
Opening the valves further, sooner, and holding them open longer without too much overlap, should pack more air into each cylinder.

Think of holding your thumb over the end of a garden hose.
You increase pressure, and velocity the more you try to squeeze the end shut.
The more you release your thumb, the more VOLUME the hose flows....
Did you increase the size of the hose? Nope.

What happens when you increase the water supply pressure, and try to hold the end shut?
What happens when you slowly release your thumb from the end?
Your thumb is acting like the valves in the cylinder heads.
The more air you have available, the more the heads will flow...to a point.
What that point is...no idea.

thank you for the info....i'm always trying to learn...

Straubtech

Reaction score
Well at least I am getting some interest on here. Simply put, the cam is the brain of the engine, you want a dumb brain or a smart brain. The time the valve is held open and the how far the valve is opened is determined by operating rang, engine specs, and flow ability of both induction and exhaust.

I will be at Rudy's on Oct 9th and 10th in Piedmont if someone want to stop by. If not my contact info is on my site.

JMart

Reaction score
I was contacted by a shop and will be working with them on some testing.

Looking forward to the results of the testing. I don't have the time to do a cam swap nor do I do any towing or hauling so I would be out of the options for the testing.

Straubtech

Reaction score

Diesel or gas the end result is we want cylinder pressure because the more pressure the bigger the bang. The bigger the bang the more power we make.

Lift past where it is needed does nothing. Lift to the point that the cylinder is filled is what you want. No point in using a .338 Lapua load to reach 200yrds when a .308 will get it done. Cam lift is much the same. You wan the lift to get to maximum cylinder fill then you want want to shut the valve as soon as possible so you can trap that air and fuel and make it pop.

In gas applications I have taken .100" of lift out of cam and made more power. The added valve lift is just wasted motion when not calculated correctly.

Valve events are far more critical than lift and duration. It's all about starting and stopping at the right moment.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Diesel or gas the end result is we want cylinder pressure because the more pressure the bigger the bang. The bigger the bang the more power we make.

Lift past where it is needed does nothing. Lift to the point that the cylinder is filled is what you want. No point in using a .338 Lapua load to reach 200yrds when a .308 will get it done. Cam lift is much the same. You wan the lift to get to maximum cylinder fill then you want want to shut the valve as soon as possible so you can trap that air and fuel and make it pop.

In gas applications I have taken .100" of lift out of cam and made more power. The added valve lift is just wasted motion when not calculated correctly.

Valve events are far more critical than lift and duration. It's all about starting and stopping at the right moment.

Yes, I can understand that.
Do you have a 6.0L engine to see the heads, and how restrictive the flow path is into the cylinders themselves?
Having roller cams is a huge advantage over common non roller cams.
The events can start sooner, and stay open longer, while still closing quick enough to prevent too much overlap.
I have had extreme drive pressure issues with every turbo I have ever tried with a stock cam, and a stage 2 cam.
What I don't like to see, is soot insde the intake manifold itself. This is telling me that the exhaust valves are still open when the intakes are starting to open...as the soot is not in the intake piping at all.

Extended Power

Reaction score
You wanting to try a different cam on someone's truck is interesting...
Do you want a stock truck, with a stock turbo? (Different power/torque demands)
What will the rpm range of your camshaft be? (Different range for a towing rig to a street/strip unit)
Anyone doing an aftermarket cam...it's safe to say they are not running a stock turbo.
I myself drive my truck on the street and once in a blue moon...down the track. But my goal is to have 1000rwhp in a daily driver...on fuel only.
Is that everyone's goal...nope.
But it is mine.
And if I can get as close as I have with a stage 2 cam...I know it can be done.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.