Need help and input

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Any words/letters in green just hold your mouse over it and it will tell ya what it is.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Wanna help me out with the lingo???

No problem.

The jist of it is to check for issues regarding airflow, fueling, and/or injection pressure. As any of these aspects, when not working correctly, can cause huge drops in fuel economy regardless of the tuning. Then add to it the winter fuel aspect, which also attributes to a drop in fuel economy.

Winter fuel is a blend of #1 and #2 diesel. #1 doesn't burn as well as has a lower BTU count than straight #2. So when that's blended in, a drop in fuel economy is almost always seen. It's very common to see a 1-2 mpg decrease, especially in a lifted truck. The blending however is necessary to lower the cloud point of diesel fuel and help prevent gelling in the winter.

Boost and exhaust leaks are common, with some being easier to diagnose than others. Exhaust leaks will be accompanied with visible soot marks on the back of the turbo where the collector bolts in, or at the up-pipes leading up to the back of the turbo - particularly where the pipes meet the collector. If you spot soot in any of those locations, you have an exhaust leak. Exhaust leaks reduce drive pressure, and thus reduce boost. This causes higher EGT's (exhaust temps), and lowers fuel economy.

Boost leaks are harder to spot since there is typically not a tell-tale sign like soot. For those you would have to visibly inspect the boots or even pressure test the CAC (cold air charge) system for leaks. To pressure test, you have to build an adapter that fits into the inlet of the turbo.

IPR/ICP refers to the high pressure injection system. These trucks build injection pressure through the usage of the high oil pressure pump, located directly beneath the fuel filter. IPR stands for Injection Pressure Regulator, and is located at the back driver's side of the pump. It regulates the oil pressure to the injectors based on what the demand is calling for in order to help deliver a specific quantity of fuel. This can be anywhere from 500-3000 psi, depending on load, pedal position, RPM's, and the tuning itself. ICP stands for Injection Control Pressure, and the sensor that monitors and actually sees that pressure is located towards the front of the driver's side oil rail on top of the head. This sensor reports back the actual oil pressure to the PCM, and that information can be used by the PCM to adjust the IPR duty cycle to either increase, decrease, or maintain that pressure. If any of these two systems are malfunctioning, you can have issues with how the truck runs and idles, as well as fuel economy issues. However, if the truck runs and idles just fine, these typically aren't the culprit.

The EBPS is the Exhaust BackPressure Sensor, and is located at the front of the engine. A tube underneath that sensor runs to the passenger's side exhaust manifold. This monitors exhaust backpressure and is used by the EBPV (Exhaust Backpressure Valve) in cold situations to block of the exhaust pipe and create a load on the engine to speed the warm-up process. If this sensor malfunctions or if the tube is blocked with soot, the valve can end up staying closed at times you are trying to accelerate or maintain speed. This will cause a hit on fuel economy. However, the very noticeable signs of this are an extremely sluggish engine when cold while you are trying to accelerate, and the truck will barely get out of its own way.

The CPS is the Cam Position Sensor, but it's something that you probably don't have to worry about. If that fails or malfunctions, the truck won't even run to begin with.

First order of business would be for you to check for boost and exhaust leaks, as these are far more common issues that would cause a loss in fuel economy. Other than that, you also have to consider the configuration of the truck with the lift and tires as part of the problem.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
It always amazes me when I see people driving a 8000# + truck and they want better mileage...

I get about 12-14mpg at 8800#... Its a truck for Christ sake.

NO, repeat NO tuning change is going to net you much if any improvement in MPG.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
with my dually this time of year i get 12.. and 14 with my 01.... ill pick up 2-3 with summer fuel..

live life full throttle

should add to this that when my dually is in the stock position i get about 9 or so mpg no matter how i drive...

but like joe said, its a fuggin truck. im happy my 9500lb pig gets 12mpg!

live life full throttle

UtahFord

Reaction score
It always amazes me when I see people driving a 8000# + truck and they want better mileage...

I get about 12-14mpg at 8800#... Its a truck for Christ sake.

NO, repeat NO tuning change is going to net you much if any improvement in MPG.

It amazes me that I asked for this input to not be added my question was if doing a few things might help so you did not answer my question.

sent from un-disclosed location

UtahFord

Reaction score
And why the **** does everyone say to ditch the bullydog chip then when you ask for info if a better chip would help ya get no real vesable info

bfife

Reaction score
A chip is not going to get you a big increase in MPG. especially a Dp chip. most econo tunes are more about shifting stratagy than anything else. Biggest improvement will be to look for and fix any boost leaks, good oil in everything, and very light touch on the throttle. also speed will kill MPG, For every 5mph over 60, you wind resistance goes up by a factor of 4x.
What gears do you have now? with the big tires, you're pushing a lot of unsprung weight. that will affect how much fuel it will take to get and keep things moving.
Its all trade offs. but to answer your question, no, a DP chip will not give you a magical increase in MPG.

Barney

UtahFord

Reaction score
A chip is not going to get you a big increase in MPG. especially a Dp chip. most econo tunes are more about shifting stratagy than anything else. Biggest improvement will be to look for and fix any boost leaks, good oil in everything, and very light touch on the throttle. also speed will kill MPG, For every 5mph over 60, you wind resistance goes up by a factor of 4x.
What gears do you have now? with the big tires, you're pushing a lot of unsprung weight. that will affect how much fuel it will take to get and keep things moving.
Its all trade offs. but to answer your question, no, a DP chip will not give you a magical increase in MPG.

Barney

I don't want big just 1-2 mpg hmmmm I'm running stock gears as far as I know. Well next Thursday I will for sure find out my mpg going 470 miles

DocBar

Reaction score
Driving style will affect mileage quite I bit. I can 17-18 on mine, on the highway, using cruise control set at ~1800-1900 RPM's. That comes out to a hair under 70 mph on my truck. I also try not to do a lot of passing or accelerating. I'll drop out of cruise to keep the truck from downshifting on hills.

Of course, mine is stock height with slightly oversized tires. Ya gotta pay to play and lifts and big effing tires will definitely make you do that.

UtahFord

Reaction score
Ok with my bullydog set at the 50hp setting, cruise control set at 75 mph I averaged 14.8 mpg on the freeway

CSIPSD

Reaction score
So you say your getting 12... but when you check it your getting 14 and your all of a sudden happy?

LOL...

My wifes Excursion on 37's with AC's gets almost 17... How much does that chap your ass...LOL

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So you say your getting 12... but when you check it your getting 14 and your all of a sudden happy?

LOL...

My wifes Excursion on 37's with AC's gets almost 17... How much does that chap your ass...LOL

lol, such a peckerhead joe!.. made me laugh a little.

live life full throttle

UtahFord

Reaction score
Well ya I'm happy I thought I was getting 12 so to almost 15 is better still not what I want

Arisley

Reaction score
I drove from Arlington TX to Lubbock TX, 304 miles. Drove around to all of our store for a day, (about 20 miles), and back to Arlington on a tank of fuel. Total of 630 miles or so. My fuel light was on and I was in a bit of a pucker factor, but there was a 100 dollar bet on if I could do it or not. I did have a 5 gallon jug of fuel in the bed, just in case.

Latest posts

Members online