Need help diagnosing a front end squeak

Pigman

Reaction score
I've been getting a squeaking noise that sounds like it's coming from the front end for almost 2 months now. At first, the noise would only occur if I was going faster than 40 MPH and start to slow down. It would not make the noise if I was accelerating and the brakes had no effect on the noise. The noise has gotten much worse within the past few weeks and has started to occur while accelerating. It usually makes the noise if the truck is in motion at all.

Also within the past week I've been getting a harsh noise when I put it in reverse. It kind of sounds like a "clank" only on the initial shift into reverse. My dad thinks it is the U-joints on the driveshaft. Is this possible or likely, and if so, is it possible that this is also the cause of my squeak? I should also add that the squeaking noise is rotational. It speeds up and slows down in sync with the truck which leads me to believe it has something to do with either the hub assemblies or driveshaft.

Reaction score
That would be your U joints. It sounds like it's about to let go too. I reccommend spicer or ford u joints.

Pigman

Reaction score
That would be your U joints. It sounds like it's about to let go too. I reccommend spicer or ford u joints.

Can you send me a link to the parts that I'll need for the job when you get a chance? I don't have access to a computer right now and my phone is a POS. Thanks.

Pigman

Reaction score
Well I finally got around to taking care of the U-joints. Had all the U-joints replaced with Spicer, the driveshaft balanced, and carrier bearing replaced. The truck drives ALOT smoother and I think it shifts smoother too but the damn squeak is still there! It went away a few weeks ago for about 3 weeks and just started up again last week.

So if it's not coming from the driveshaft, what could it be? I feel like it's coming from the front driver's side wheel assembly but don't know what to look for.

Latest posts

Members online