Need help. Loose brake rotor.

Pigman

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been getting a bad chirping/squeaking noise from the front end for a while now and within the past week or so it started making a howling noise when I brake at low speeds. The wheel bearing seems fine but I just took off the front left tire and noticed ALOT of back and forth play in the brake rotor. What could be the cause of this and how do I fix it? I replaced the front left hub assembly and all the brake pads and rotors 14 months ago. The brake pads look fine as well. I don't know how to upload videos so if you want the video just PM me and I'll text it to you.

Thanks,
Josh

Pigman

Reaction score
If your wheel is off your rotor can move a good amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much though? I'm able to move it back and forth a significant amount and I find it odd that it makes the same exact chirping noise I've been hearing.

G Racing

Reaction score
What do you mean back and forth? With the wheel off the rotor will move. Are the stud holes out of round? The brake pads and caliper will keep it from moving too much, unless the slide pins are shot or the caliper bracket bolts are loose.

Pigman

Reaction score
Had one of my friends at work check it out earlier and it turned out to be the wheel bearing. Luckily it's the same one I replaced a year ago so it's under warranty. Thanks for the help guys.

Pigman

Reaction score
Well I replaced the hub assembly a couple hours ago and it is still squeaking! The brake rotor is still loose and I know that that is what's making the noise so I just need to figure out how to keep the rotor from shaking. Is it possible that when the wheel bearing went bad it also damaged the rotor? The rotor looked fine when I took it off but I'm no brake expert...

powerstroke95

Reaction score
When you put your wheel on and tighten the lug nuts, your rotor wont be able to move. The lug nuts are the only thing that holds the rotor in place. As the others have said, pull your slide pins out and see if there are large flat spots on them. If so, that could be causing some play.

Jomax

Reaction score
I made the habit to install new slide pins everytime I install pads.... they're pretty cheap.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

PDT1081

Reaction score
Well I replaced the hub assembly a couple hours ago and it is still squeaking! The brake rotor is still loose and I know that that is what's making the noise so I just need to figure out how to keep the rotor from shaking. Is it possible that when the wheel bearing went bad it also damaged the rotor? The rotor looked fine when I took it off but I'm no brake expert...

If the rotor is loose, there will be metal shavings. The rotor hub will be shiny and the back of your wheel (hub) will be shiny and chewed up.

It is entirely possible that the rotor is warped. First thing I would do is pull the caliper off. Check/lube the slide pins. I use a ceramic based anti-seize. Then, before I put everything back together, I would bend the wear indicators (those metal clips that hold the pads in that are supposed to squeal to warn you of brake wear) as far away from the surface of the rotor as possible. Maybe even cut them off.

mandkole

Reaction score

Is it squeaking when the brakes are applied or just rolling? On some rotors, the hub 'plate' section will warp, but Ive not heard of it with big meaty rotors like on trucks. Its possible that the rotor could be clamped up on a turning lathe and checked. Id agree that a rotor change may be in your future.

Pigman

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! When I get time I will check the slide pins. One thing I forgot to mention is that when I turn the brake rotor by hand, it is easy to turn for about 3/4 turn and is very tough to turn that other 1/4. Also the noise happens when it's rolling whether I'm pressing the brakes or not. Usually happens when slowing down at slow speeds.

Pigman

Reaction score
UPDATE: I replaced the rotor, cleaned and greased the slide pins, torqued everything to the exact specs and it is STILL squeaking! It might be even worse now. I have no idea what to do.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.