Need help!!!! Oil coming out tailpipe

skevac

Reaction score
2005 Excursion 85,000 miles, full EGR delete, PHP FICM mod & 50 hp PCM tune, CCV mod to the atmosphere. As the title says oil coming from the tailpipe also oil sprayed on the firewall near the downpipe and looks like some to be coming from the sensor at the front of the passenger side valve cover. I'm guessing head gasket or turbo seal but looking for some expert advice.

skevac

Reaction score
Any harm in driving it further? Wife already drove it home that way. 20 mile drive to the mechanic.

skevac

Reaction score
3 quarter size puddles out of the tail pipe. Haven't pulled the dipstick yet. Also if that seal is bad can the motor possibly run away on the crankcase oil?

skevac

Reaction score
No oil touching the dipstick. And appears to have coolant on the dipstick (it was red and I have Chevron ELC which is red). I would say that rules out the turbo seal? Will the antifreeze take out the bearings?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Not calling you dumb so don't take this the wrong way. Are you sure you are checking the engine oil and not the trans? Just asking due to it being red. And if there is no oil but you are finding coolant, don't drive it until you can fix it.

skevac

Reaction score
Not calling you dumb so don't take this the wrong way. Are you sure you are checking the engine oil and not the trans? Just asking due to it being red. And if there is no oil but you are finding coolant, don't drive it until you can fix it.

Yep it's official I'm a dumb ass! As soon as you said that I knew I had got in a hurry and pulled the trans dipstick. I'm quite mechanical & do most of my own service work & oil changes. Geez! There's a lot going on here right now and really didn't need this so I'm kind of running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Nothing like making a total ass of myself on here! :wtf:

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Yep it's official I'm a dumb ass! As soon as you said that I knew I had got in a hurry and pulled the trans dipstick. I'm quite mechanical & do most of my own service work & oil changes. Geez! There's a lot going on here right now and really didn't need this so I'm kind of running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Nothing like making a total ass of myself on here! :wtf:
LoL no worries man, happens to the best if us. Okay first thing first, get your oil level and top off if needed. And if its only a few small spots you should be fine to make the 20 mile trip to the shop. Just take it easy in it.

skevac

Reaction score
Updated info still need help.

Ok, I'm pretty sure I figured out what caused this to happen. It appears that my catch bottle for my CCV mod got plugged and the pressure had no where to go and started pushing oil. Haven't tore into it yet but I noticed the possible issue when I loaded it on the trailer to take it in. Now my question is what seals or gaskets should be replaced or checked to make sure I get the problem fixed the first time around? This really pisses me of as you try to do something to make your engine last longer and end up causing other issues. And I really hate oil spots on my floor! So, hopefully this doesn't cause oil leaks to start popping up everywhere? Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Is your CC vented to the atmosphere? Or post some pictures of its set up. If you're EGR is deleted there is no need to reroute the CCV at all. The main reason for a CCV reroute is to keep the soot introduced from the EGR from mixing with the oil vapor from the CCV and caking up the intake system and intake valves with gunk. Without the soot from the EGR its just oil vapor and the harms nothing, just gets burned off.

skevac

Reaction score
Is your CC vented to the atmosphere? Or post some pictures of its set up. If you're EGR is deleted there is no need to reroute the CCV at all. The main reason for a CCV reroute is to keep the soot introduced from the EGR from mixing with the oil vapor from the CCV and caking up the intake system and intake valves with gunk. Without the soot from the EGR its just oil vapor and the harms nothing, just gets burned off.

I'll try and answer the questions in order. My CC is vented to the atmosphere, and has been for about 3 years. Guess I've just been lucky until now? I had a catch can on the end of the hose that had accumulated a bunch of moisture and I'm assuming froze. When I first did the CCV mod my EGR wasn't deleted but now is. I wasn't aware that deleting it or not had an effect on where the CC vented? I thought the main reason was to keep the oil vapor from coating the turbo, intercooler and piping wasn't aware that the soot from the EGR was the main culprit. If what you say is the case (and I'm not doubting you) I'll hook it back into the intake if it's not doing me any good, not to mention it smells like $h!t. The motor wasn't all that low on oil. It was about 1/2 way up the dipstick in the crosshatch marks. Usually doesn't use/lose any between oil changes. How much and what stuff do you think it may have damaged? Thanks for your insight and help. They say no education is free so I guess I'm paying for my degree in what not to do? I think I have a masters degree by now!!!!

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I'll try and answer the questions in order. My CC is vented to the atmosphere, and has been for about 3 years. Guess I've just been lucky until now? I had a catch can on the end of the hose that had accumulated a bunch of moisture and I'm assuming froze. When I first did the CCV mod my EGR wasn't deleted but now is. I wasn't aware that deleting it or not had an effect on where the CC vented? I thought the main reason was to keep the oil vapor from coating the turbo, intercooler and piping wasn't aware that the soot from the EGR was the main culprit. If what you say is the case (and I'm not doubting you) I'll hook it back into the intake if it's not doing me any good, not to mention it smells like $h!t. The motor wasn't all that low on oil. It was about 1/2 way up the dipstick in the crosshatch marks. Usually doesn't use/lose any between oil changes. How much and what stuff do you think it may have damaged? Thanks for your insight and help. They say no education is free so I guess I'm paying for my degree in what not to do? I think I have a masters degree by now!!!!

I've been running mine still hooked up for over 226k miles no issues. But no EGR hooked up, so no EGR CCV is no problem as is hooked to the intake.

If you're not that low on oil its probably a small leak, if you want to verify its the turbo seal do this. Disconnect the down pipe and feel around inside the pipe and inside of the turbine outlet, check and see if its oily. If it is you got a bad oil seal. Could be a few other potential leaks as well but by the time they made it that far they would have been pretty much vaporized so not so likely as just and oil seal and right at the source.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online