Need help!

Lysons

Reaction score
So my tranny was leaking quite a bit of ATF for about 2 weeks, me and dad dropped the pan, cleaned the surfaces, siliconed it, and put on the pan gasket, then the pan and torqued it to the right specs.
Now it's leaking from two areas instead of just one.
Some of the ATF looks to be coming from the top of the tranny, and the rest from the pan.
Any ideas what could be causing this?
It's a 4R100.

Lysons

Reaction score
If it helps at all, we reused gaskets on the tranny pan, and I think the pan bolts were over torqued, because there are dents where they go.
That could explain the lower leak, but I have no clue about the one coming from up higher. :fustrate:

One more thing, I put this in aftermarket 'cause it's a reman tranny with a red torque converter.
And now that I think of it, 7.3 tech woulda been a better choice...

Last edited:

mudwizer

Reaction score
First of all do not use silicone on a transmission pan gasket . install the gasket dry or wipe a little grease to keep in place,but befor you in stall the pan then turn the pan flang down and with a ballpeen hammer (small)dimple the bolt holes the other way.Then install the pan.
it shouldnt leak this time unless you have a crack somewhere

Lysons

Reaction score
First of all do not use silicone on a transmission pan gasket . install the gasket dry or wipe a little grease to keep in place,but befor you in stall the pan then turn the pan flang down and with a ballpeen hammer (small)dimple the bolt holes the other way.Then install the pan.
it shouldnt leak this time unless you have a crack somewhere

Someone said to use a bit of silicone, so that's nice to know.

is the ATF pushing out the vent at the top of the trans??

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

this would have been the best place to post this.. we have ford trany engineer that hangs out there quite often...

I'll have to check later if it is.

Also overtorqueing the pan just warps it and forms leaks

I kinda figured it would, I think the guy that last had the tranny did.

Latest posts

Members online