Need some advise on Smog in california.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
^^^Holy cow, all that really necessary? ^^^

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That is how i have mine setup as well. Riffraff black boots with logo's not showing, electrical tape over Turbo By Garrett logo on 38R boot, wire loom over FRx, etc.

Better safe than sorry. They can fail you for just about anything out here.

Reaction score
Just a heads up on the 7.3s, if you have a truck that is Federal emissions level (it will say on the white sticker on the hood or the sticker on the passenger's side valve cover) the latest update ignores checking I/M monitors, just needs to not have a check engine light on. Also on Federal non-cat trucks (same sticker will tell you), the engine is only regulated from the CCV vent to the outlet of the turbo.

Don't be afraid to argue with a smog tech. They are required to know the rules and can't play the ignorance card.

IdahoF350

Reaction score
Just a heads up on the 7.3s, if you have a truck that is Federal emissions level (it will say on the white sticker on the hood or the sticker on the passenger's side valve cover) the latest update ignores checking I/M monitors, just needs to not have a check engine light on. Also on Federal non-cat trucks (same sticker will tell you), the engine is only regulated from the CCV vent to the outlet of the turbo.

Don't be afraid to argue with a smog tech. They are required to know the rules and can't play the ignorance card.

For reference:

94.5-97 trucks are EXEMPT from testing.

98-Up trucks with a GVWR of 14,000lbs or more on the VIN tag are exempt when privately owned (F-450/550)

Only Early 1999 model 7.3L Powerstrokes will be equipped with a catalyst and it must be there wether the truck is a CA or Federal truck if it calls out CATALYST on the hood tag.

They can decline to test for any reason. Try arguing with them and see how well that works out for you.

Reaction score
For reference:

94.5-97 trucks are EXEMPT from testing.

98-Up trucks with a GVWR of 14,000lbs or more on the VIN tag are exempt when privately owned (F-450/550)

Only Early 1999 model 7.3L Powerstrokes will be equipped with a catalyst and it must be there wether the truck is a CA or Federal truck if it calls out CATALYST on the hood tag.

They can decline to test for any reason. Try arguing with them and see how well that works out for you.

I do on the daily. The lack of knowledge with them is kind of sad. If they fail a vehicle that shouldn't be failed because of their lack of knowledge the BAR will hammer them for it.

DAQ80

Reaction score
I put my tuner to stock setting and hid it behind the dash, made a blank out of ABS plastic to hide the hole. Did the wire loom on the FRx and removed my boost fooler.
I left the 6637 in place. No issues, I was in and out in less than 10 minutes. Thought about covering the "turbo by Garret" logo on the 38R boot, but I left it alone, I'll probably cover it next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online