Need some AE help

Lang

Reaction score
For some reason my AE is not connecting. Tells me "Failed to create new session". Why can't I connect to my truck?

Layson

Reaction score
I also had a pin in my AE plug push in so it wouldn't connect... just something to look for...

79jasper

Reaction score
Something in the ae settings also if it hasn't been flashed to obdII, right?
Or did I read something wrong?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

TARM

Reaction score
Maybe something pre super duty 99 but that forward they were all already IIRC.

MossBack

Reaction score
Windows 8.1? That is the reason I had to sell my laptop because I updated and it messed up AE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TARM

Reaction score
I am running AE, an older version of AE at that, on 8.1. It has been run on 8.0, 7, Vista, and XP. Now the TS burner that was a PITA on Win 8 till I figured out a USB driver issue.

The only issue I have found with Windows 8 and 8.1 is for some reason every so often it will deactivate the Ford enhancement and I have to reenter the code to reactivate it. But that has been it. In I was just using it 2 days ago and will be again tomorrow.

But other than that I have not had a single issue in terms of software compatability. One thing might be using USB3 maybe sometimes depending on the firmware and driver it can act iffy with backward compatibility. But other than the issue with the Ford Enhancement have to reenter it once in awhile its been completely stable.

I did find also that you can not just use any USB cable and no adapter unless you have confirmed it. I had a USB cable and was not able to connect. Tried everything even with the head guy @ AE. Thought it might be my module. Ended up being somehow the wrong cable got stuck in the box.

I just checked my AE version, its 9.0.1 so certainly not the most current.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
So this is what the link states:

Windows 8.1 has been modified, and many USB devices will not work properly. AutoEnginuity uses a certain chip in its security device that has been affected by this change, and systems that use either an external security dongle, or the VCI connector, will work in Enhanced mode by installing the latest version of the ScanTool software (A current subscription is required to download, and install the latest version if you have any enhancements in your system). "Failed to create a new session" is typically the message you will see when the ScanTool program launches. A fix has been implemented by the AutoEnginuity Engineers. This is in version 12.1 (released on 03/18/2014. Previous versions of the ScanTool will not work in Enhanced Mode under Windows 8.1.

That is the part I am having an issue with.

As you go two more down to FAQ #3:

* Will I have to buy updates every year to keep the basic ScanTool current?

"No. Our OBDII connector was designed on an electrical interface standard that hasn't changed in years. With the advent of new interfaces like CAN, we understand that changes may be required and the unit is field updatable. The software is updated every quarter for any new features that vehicle manufacturers implement and best of all our generic updates are free."

As this is not an issue with a specific enhancement package but something of the basic software i.e. generic that should be free the way it reads to me. That also is how it was told to me way back when I bought my AE.

Not to mention 8.1 is not a new Windows version but just an update. You do not see them listing Windows XP, XP SP1, XP SP2, Vista SP2 etc... They just finally switched back to the industry standard for how they listed their updating. If they state Windows 8 compatible they should have to support its full series. Not to mention that there 12.0 came out 3 months after the full release of the 8.1 update which was in beta for everyone that needed to test it for months prior as well and it was not until a full 6 months after that they fixed the issue and now require people to have a current script with them to get what is clearly a base "generic" to there software and hardware support update revision.

What I find rather amusing is I am on AE 9.0.1 and it works with all of these. Even if I update which I likley will I may pay a bit more and just get the new hardware etc so I can keep this and the old program etc so it will for sure be backwards compatible just to be safe.

Its not like with these trucks $50 would break the bank for a update to subscription its the fact it goes against what is status quo for supporting a IT product not to mention at least the way I interpret their facts and what their tech told me it conflicts with that as well.

Lang

Reaction score
Been a while BUT what I found was my windows update caused MY problem. Didn't read most of the responses here but I rebooted my lab top back to original as it came and works perfectly. It cleated all updates and wiped all my apps/pics/personal info.

Latest posts