Need some help verifying engine quality

space_heretic

Reaction score
Well my mechanic is offering me what seems to be a good deal. I had originally taken my truck in to get the engine rebuilt. Well mid rebuild he offers his 60k engine(rebuilt .20 over) 38r and stage 2 single shot injectors with tune for 1000 less than a full rebuild.
My engine is completely stock other than a 4 inch exhaust,diy intake and frx.
My questions are
How do i verify the turbo is indeed a 38r and not a stock turbo with a high flow inlet?
Compression test results on a .20 over engine? i figure compression would be slightly lower.
Stage 2 injectors? no idea how to verify these.
I think this is a good deal because my truck had cavitation in cylinder 8. Meaning it was far to gone when i got it. So number 8 is sleeved(read that problems could happen in the future because of a sleeve) my engine is bored .20 over as of now anyway. So no difference between my block and the 60k
Injectors and turbo on my truck are original so they both are at 351k.

I know it sounds a little strange but his reasoning was is my blocks out and bare already and he does not want to deal with selling the 38r(hes going with compounds i believe) and stage 2's so hes offering this trade.
The only thing i found odd was he said it wasn't studded he said he kept the boost down because of this

kanuck15

Reaction score
The turbo should have numbers stamped on it to be able to look up.

The compression test should be the same as its sucking in more air to fill the extra space

The injectors would have to be flow tested to verify

Lastly you shouldnt need studs with stage twos and a 38r. Id be more worried about push rods and valve springs before studs with that setup

space_heretic

Reaction score
Thanks anything else I'm forgetting that I should be worried about?
Does this seem like a bad deal?i was quoted 5k for a rebuilt long block. He's asking 4k for this one.(installed)

Latest posts

Members online