Need tuner advise/help/direction

FordTechChase

Reaction score
Ok guys here's the deal. I currently have an H&S Mini on my 09 450. Truck just cleared 160k. Has a new(stock)engine top to bottom with H11 studs about 10-12k ago.

I have ran both the middle set of tunes and the HD300 tune. Power feels really good and helps get this big girl going a little better. On the HD tune the trans never settles in and it makes me uneasy. If I rape it every time I drive it it does start shifting better but that is quickly gone after a few days of not raping it constantly. Middle tune set usually shifts pretty good but still has its moments of feeling like garbage. It usually does a nice flare or bang which is not a good feeling. It never just clicks like my old LB7/ally combo or my dad's 6.7 ******* tuned truck. Both of those have reliable consistent shifting which is what I want.

Also the shift points suck for a 450, it will fall down hard on its face in 4th and 5th on the shifts because they happen so close together and fast. Almost instant 3-4/4-5 and TC lock. Tried the late shift points and that was horrible in tow haul. It would put your face in the steering wheel and rev stupid high slowing down.

So I bought a ******* Ndash tuner a few months ago with the SOTF knob. I was dead set on using ******* just based on the few trucks I have driven or rode in over the years felt really good. Also like the big screen for gauges. Just don't remember enough about how they shifted on 6.4s to just pull the trigger. Also don't want to have the same disappointment on shift points that I have with the H&S now.

In the last 3-4 months I have been concerned about the transmission living in general and have seen a bunch of posts on the Facebook truck groups about both H&S and ******* being trans killers.

So that got me into looking at custom tunes for the H&S. Not a real big fan of the H&S in general due to size and the damn mounting system sucks. Which I think that can be addressed easily if I'd spend the money on it.

How much truth is there into the two being hard on transmissions? Is there much difference in a ******* tune and a custom tunes shifting? Horsepower is fun and nice but at the end of the day its a CCLB 450 pickup so we aren't winning races here but its dang sure fun to mess with kids in their cars. Truck pulls a 8500 pound camper some but nothing major honestly so looking for fun power and better trans shifting/consistency. Lets hear some thoughts or pros/cons.

sootie

Reaction score
I would start with custom tunes from gear head and see how you like them

FordTechChase

Reaction score
It will be a week or three before I pull the trigger. Closing on a house any day now and have to do some small updates/repairs around the property before we get moved in and get the old house listed for sale. But I will for sure be getting something different tuning wise in the very very near future.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Custom tunes are your answer, no matter the hardware platform used.

FYI, you can tune and monitor with seperate devices. Tune with the H&S and monitor with the other if you like it better.

Latest posts

Members online