Never seen this before...

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Working on a 2000 7.3. It has what I thought was really bad turbo surge just rolling down the freeway with the cruise set at 70. It tunes out that the waistgate solenoid is opening and closing over and over and over. With the key on but engine off you can hear it opening and closing and it won't stop. Checked the MAP sensor and its showing 14.3 while the EBP sensor is showing 14.7. Was going to replace the MAP sensor anyways cause the plastic tab that keeps the plug locked onto it. None the less when I unplug the MAP sensor the waist gate solenoid keeps cycling. Do you think the waist gate solenoid is being told to do that and the issue is else where or its acting up its self? Was going to see what the voltage being fed to it is does any one know what I should be seeing with the key on engine off as far as volts go?

JSchuricht

Reaction score
Easiest way to test it is to pull the plug and drive it. It's on the passenger side of the pedestal.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
it's not the wastegate.
it's the backpressure valve thinking the truck needs to warm up some more.
The tube is probably clogged.
Take off at the valve, and the sensor in the timing cover and run a pipe-cleaner wire brush through it.

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to me. $1k later from Ford, replaced the tube and sensor and never fixed the problem. I fixed mine temporarily by using bailing wire and wiring the valve open. Easiest way to deal with it is to remove the valve from the pedestal, it also fixes a potential oil leak as well :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.