new diesel owner... need help

golfpro2301

Reaction score
So I just picked up my 2010 6.4. Once unloaded from shipping truck I took her down the road. After 5 miles the water seperator light came on. I drove 15 more.miles home and got out and drained it. Started dripping quite a bit and started smelling diesel after a bit so thought it was good. Closed it up and just drove to dinner. After another 5 miles it came back on. Starting to worry. Any ideas?

golfpro2301

Reaction score
The light is still going off and on so I am thinking it is a sensor. Drained quite a bit yesterday and there was no water. Going to remove cover and clean it out. Will replace filters in the process. Just have to find someone that sells the gasket. I am running the Spartan 275 tune with DPF gone and CAE. Lie-O-Meter says 28MPG. I know this isnt correct but I filled up yesterday and I drove 117 miles and used quarter of the tank. Not exactly the mileage I was hoping for. I did spend about an hour in stop and go traffic last night after 4th of July celebration. What are you guys seeing as far as miles per tank goes.

Commandos888

Reaction score
hello

You will have to go to your ford dealer parts. The green gaskets swells up to air, replace the wif light sensor to as well while you are there. Keep in mine you will let a lot of air in the fuel system, you may have a hard time with starting. Cycle the key 15 to 20 times.it will help in bleeding the fuel system. Only OEM filters and parts!! the fuel filter cover comes with new hardware and cover gaskets.

Commandos888

Reaction score
They call it a HFCM-Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module. I remove the whole thing from the frame to do a good clean out. There are four lines on there, two will come off by squeezing them and the other two you will need a quick disconnect tools that most parts house have in stock.Lisle 39400 Angled Disconnect Tool Set is what I use.

golfpro2301

Reaction score
Yeah I am only going to use Motorcraft filters. Glad you mentioned 15 times on cycle. I read somewhere to only do 6. Is the HFCM easy to get off? for first time would it be best to do while on the vehicle?

Commandos888

Reaction score
hey bud!

Yes there is 13 mm bolts on the outside of the frame rail.remove the whole assembly.sometimes it will make it easy for you if the truck is a 4x4 to move the front drive shaft to the side. put a pan or a bucket under, lots of fuel will come out.i gave you a tool part number to help you remove the other two fuel lines.Really good to have around for future repairs to the fuel system.:thumbup:And yes you can do it on the truck but its so much more easy to remove it to clean it out better.Most of my customers have an airdog2 for better filtering.i have one also on my own truck.

Last edited:

golfpro2301

Reaction score
Thanks. I was looking into another filteration system. I looked at the Racor but just checked out the Airdog. Looks nice. Does this go before the HFCM and you just cut the fuel lines. Is it ok to run Stanadyne thru those filters?

Commandos888

Reaction score
hey bud!

It will replace the whole unit. The only thing you will need to cut is the hose that comes in the kit.i have had great results with both Stanadyne and Rev-X fuel additives. It will really come down to what really works for you.

Latest posts

Members online