new garrett turbo surge?

John Fredrickson

Reaction score
2003 Ford f350 7.3L. I am having an issue with the Garrett Powermax GTP38R Ballbearing Turbocharger for Powerstroke 7.3L that I just installed. it is giving me severe surge on acceleration while towing and I know that I need to ds on the hills and I do that but, this in on the flat highway trying to get up to speed, it's an automatic btw just rebuilt heavy duty and I was hoping you could help me. I went with this turbo to get the EGTs down while towing with the stock turbo with the wicked wheel. mods to the truck are full force 180 30 injectors power hungry hydra with tunes for the injectors. new up pipes, 4-inch downpipe, banjo bolts, intake heater delete, boost fooler, cold air intake, oil crossover, spring in the bowl delete and that fuel pressure spring the middle one added. I am towing about 12,000 lbs. and when I had the stock turbo there was no surge at all and it towed fine just high EGT'S on the hills and that's why I went with the 38R. any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated because I don't want to ruin my truck

tomlin

Reaction score
How much boost are you building before the surge happens? The 38R wastegates are set fairly loose from the factory. Sounds like you may be opening the wastegate early.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I have never adjusted one. Just cap the red line and send it.

Stock and tubes trucks.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
2003 Ford f350 7.3L. I am having an issue with the Garrett Powermax GTP38R Ballbearing Turbocharger for Powerstroke 7.3L that I just installed. it is giving me severe surge on acceleration while towing and I know that I need to ds on the hills and I do that but, this in on the flat highway trying to get up to speed, it's an automatic btw just rebuilt heavy duty and I was hoping you could help me. I went with this turbo to get the EGTs down while towing with the stock turbo with the wicked wheel. mods to the truck are full force 180 30 injectors power hungry hydra with tunes for the injectors. new up pipes, 4-inch downpipe, banjo bolts, intake heater delete, boost fooler, cold air intake, oil crossover, spring in the bowl delete and that fuel pressure spring the middle one added. I am towing about 12,000 lbs. and when I had the stock turbo there was no surge at all and it towed fine just high EGT'S on the hills and that's why I went with the 38R. any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated because I don't want to ruin my truck
Is it chirping surge or just all out screaming?

Definitely cap the red line and let it open on spring pressure.

What are your boost numbers?

Stock 38r compressor wheel or 11 blade wicked wheel?

Towed 12k all over the country with my old dually. Just click OD off at base of the hills and let her eat with the cruise set. Rpm = air flow. Lower egts. Dont think i have ever seen it drop below the speed limits on any grade and i never took her out of the hottest tune it had.

John Fredrickson

Reaction score
Is it chirping surge or just all out screaming?

Definitely cap the red line and let it open on spring pressure.

What are your boost numbers?

Stock 38r compressor wheel or 11 blade wicked wheel?

Towed 12k all over the country with my old dually. Just click OD off at base of the hills and let her eat with the cruise set. Rpm = air flow. Lower egts. Dont think i have ever seen it drop below the speed limits on any grade and i never took her out of the hottest tune it had.
I took out the new Garrett and replaced with a KC 2 and problem eliminated. tows super nice now lots of power and surge eliminated. Got a slightly used Garrett turbo for sale now....lol

Charles

Reaction score
I have run a whole lot of 38R's over the years and never run into this.... until my current 02 as of a few months back when I replaced my 38R due to a nozzle going through the turbine years ago. The new one surges like an animal. This is with the 1.15 housing mind you. It will try to build 30lbs at 1550 to 1600rpm or so while surging hard enough that it would certainly break the shaft if you stayed in it. By 1750 it will finally clean up run a stable 30lbs of boost.

I see you have moved on and I'm dragging up a dead topic but found it interesting that you had the same experience. I would be interested in a non-biased report on comparative EGT while towing.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have run a whole lot of 38R's over the years and never run into this.... until my current 02 as of a few months back when I replaced my 38R due to a nozzle going through the turbine years ago. The new one surges like an animal. This is with the 1.15 housing mind you. It will try to build 30lbs at 1550 to 1600rpm or so while surging hard enough that it would certainly break the shaft if you stayed in it. By 1750 it will finally clean up run a stable 30lbs of boost.

I see you have moved on and I'm dragging up a dead topic but found it interesting that you had the same experience. I would be interested in a non-biased report on comparative EGT while towing.
HOOLLLLYY CRAP!! Welcome back man!!!!

Latest posts

Members online