New guy, 6.7 questions

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Everyone,

Form has been a wealth of knowlage so far, but I havent been able to find answers to some simple questions. Forgive me if they have been answered. My searches would not turn them up.

About a month ago, I got my first diesel truck. Always wanted one but never really had a need until I got my 62 acres. For years I've always used Powerstrokes at work.

First question is, what should the fluid I drain from the water seperator under the drivers door look like? I found a YouTube video on it, and that gentelmans came out clear. I will attach a picture of what mine looked like. Seems like it was just fuel, no water.
eqazu9um.jpg

My second question is about re-gen. I have the simple type dash. I've driven over 4000 miles, and not once seen a message about it re-gen running. However, I havd noticed when using 4x4 low on my ranch, that the exauset smells funny. Could that be the re-gen running? And maybe it runs with no message while I'm driving?

Thank you for any help in advance everyone!

Colt

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk

Buck1

Reaction score
Fuel no water is a good thing. Means you are draining it often enough and have a good fuel source.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CallMeColt

Reaction score
That is what I figured Buck1, but wanted to be sure. Thanks.

stevens6.7

Reaction score
I also have the simple dash and if I remember correctly it says something about cleaning exhaust filter. It only stays on for a few second ( at least in my case) then goes away. If you aren't really staring at it you will miss it.

Another solution is delete it :pint:

bad moose

Reaction score
Yep on the simple dashes it just flashes at you. So you may miss it, it will only regen when it needs to. I usually can tell a power difference right before and right after a regen. Also fuel mileage will go up .5mpg after regen.

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Hmmm. I guess I will keep an extra eye out for it. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

CallMeColt

Reaction score
I drained my seperator today and it came out clear. I must have taken out 24oz and just stopped. It smelled like fuel but was clear as water. Should I drain it untill it's not clear? I've had about a 1.5 MPG drop the past few weeks.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I wouldn't a even start it again till you ensure that you have clean fuel in your tank. How much did you drain?

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Two medium Churh's Chicken cups full. I must admit that I have not drained it since I took the last picture. :/ Truck runs like a top still.

Spatel23

Reaction score
let it drain til you get straight fuel

if youve got water in it.......find out why. Change fuel stations or start trying to get it from a known good source.
I only fill up at truck stops, usually the same one.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Been a while since I had churches but I would say that if it is in fact water then you need to have the tank drained and the system flushed.

You should always drain into a clean glass container. It is easier to identify fuel issues this way as the container doesn't hide contaminants. Pour it in a caning jar or something. So you can have a better look.

CallMeColt

Reaction score
I did drain into the small clear jar that is my picture above. Then I was pouring it into the cup.

CallMeColt

Reaction score
This is what I'm getting. After all the draining yesterday, my MPG went up. After work, I will drain again. Will keep doing it until it is just fuel.

Would an additive help clean this up?

3a9ugyva.jpg

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Wow! I've never had more than a few drops, if anything in any diesel I've ever owned. That's crazy. I can't believe you aren't having any issues.

Chris

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Dude if that's water, I'd be surprised if you don't have some issues elsewhere in the system. That's an insane amount for one tank

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Wow! I've never had more than a few drops, if anything in any diesel I've ever owned. That's crazy. I can't believe you aren't having any issues.

Chris

I was thinking the same thing. The truck runs with no issues at all. Is it possible that the fuel is not dyed or something?

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Diesel fuel has a light amber/straw color in its natural form. It is generally died red to denote that it is for off road, highway tax free fuel. That is water and a whole lot of it. I would drain it until clear and get fresh filters on it. It may be worth seeing what drains out of the upper filter.

6.0Dually

Reaction score
I had about 1.5 times that in my 6.0 once. I ended up dropping the tank and draining all the fuel for peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online