New Guy From Houston TX

Djmck832

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have been reading through a lot of posts on here and finally decided to join. The info available on here is incredible. Had my first EGR/OIL cooler issue sneak up one me a few weeks ago. I bought the truck in Jan 2013 w 120k. Dealer quoted 3200+. Didn't feel bad laughing at him. Had another mechanic look at it, same ridiculous price. At least it was confirmed EGR/OIL cooler. White smoke & all.

Now I'm no mechanic, but I can get it done. I have the tools, time & space (I extended my garage for this job). After weeks of research, OEM vs aftermarket, prices, I started to tear it down today. I stopped before removing the turbo. I noticed black fluid in all turbo pipes, as well as in the turbo itself. As this is my first time working on a diesel, I became concerned. Is this normal when the EGR cooler craps out? Black fluid everywhere?

Finding a trustworthy diesel mechanic is tough. Although this is not my profession, I'm not stupid. I know when I being hustled. Today, I came across the name Dorian from Power Stroke Enginuities in Northwest Houston. Read a lot of really positive reviews about him & his staff. Gave them a call & left a message. Didn't get a call back yet, so I'll swing by tomorrow when I'm free.

If anyone has any input, info, pointers, bullet point, tip or tricks, opinions on PSE in Houston, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

CoastalF350

Reaction score
Go to powerstroke magic! Wish I would have went there! Here nothing but good things about them. Now days im starting to do all I can on my own or help from a friend thats a diesel mechanic

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
I would call again or email or FB message him! Dorian does some great work. White smoke doesn't always mean Egr/oil cooler....is the white smoke consistent and smell like coolant? Or does it go away once accelerated? Do u have anything as in gauge wise installed to read your EOT (Engine Oil Temp) or ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) levels? I'm out in Katy/cypress area if u have any questions.

Djmck832

Reaction score
I will go by his shop tomorrow. The smoke is not consistent. Noticed it after it was warmed up & went away after acceleration. Exhaust Def smells like coolant. Lost coolant while driving & temp spiked up & down. Added 2 gallons . No gauges yet. I have replaced the degas cap. I am worried about the heads. I'm in west houston. Westpark toll way by 99.

swinky

Reaction score
Pse is awesome. He won't do a "cheap" job. He gets it done and gets it done right. He was very good about calling me and giving me updates on the surpises when the cab came off and the heads were pulled. Great work from a friendly ex marine. Can't go wrong with Dorian.

Reaction score
Sorry for not getting back to you buddy. I messaged you, just sitting down to eat dinner. Busy busy day. I will call you in the am, or come by if you get a chance.
Dorian*

SEMPER FI!!

Djmck832

Reaction score
No problem at all Dorian. No worries on calling me. I'll swing by tomorrow in the am for sure after I put the truck back together. Thank you Sir.

Agjake11

Reaction score
Welcome, you cant go wrong taking it to PSE, Dorian is a great guy and the work they do shows with the number of trucks and the insane growth theyve had in the last 2 yrs.

Djmck832

Reaction score
Here's an update

JAN 2014 Work - EGR Delete NEW OEM Turbo OEM Oil Cooler STC Fitting Update Intake Gaskets SCT 3015 Performance Tune REV X Coolant Flush

Thanks to the crew at Power Stroke Enginuities - PSE

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.