New here. Need advice on a chip.

VOLSdiesel

Reaction score
I'm looking at

TS Chip

Hydra

or just the SCT downloader

It's a stock 2002 with 140,000. I don't do much but drive it and sometimes haul a small trailer. What the best route to go?

psduser1

Reaction score
If you aren't going to mod it, for sure, I'd just recommend a ts chip.
If there is any chance you'll do any mods down the road, the hydra would be much more convenient for updating tunes.

dillpurdy92

Reaction score
Some people say ts, some people say hydra, hell some people say DP TUNER is the best.

1994.5 CCLB zf5

Pstrke96

Reaction score
I have tsin my truck and it works well even with canned tunes I really like the high idle for a/c+ dogs if I ever buy another truck it will get hydra from all the good reviews I read.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Do you plan on modding the truck much?

Whatever product you choose, look into some quality tunes. For instance, the generic TS tunes are very outdated and do not perform exceptionally well on any rig.

We can reburn TS chips with our custom tunes, or we can get you custom tunes for the SCT devices. We do not offer tuning for the Hydra chip though.

We also have our own line of chips (F5 and F6)... https://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-powerstroke/ford-powerstroke-7-3l-2/tuning-32/chips-1.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
There is zero reason to go with anything but a Hydra.

For $375 your getting a chip with a built in No Start, Built in Stock, 15 programmable shift on the fly spots. Free unlimited access to all of Power Hungry Performances tuning library. All...

Forever.

Now if you want to run some aftermarket injectors, you can call up any one of a dozen tuners and get tunes emailed to you in, which you can load yourself in seconds!

Derek0525

Reaction score
I would go with Hydra also. I learned a lesson and didn't listen the first time when people told me not to go with another tuner because your locked into that tuner and some of the issues I had with the tuning of that tuner never got resolved so now I have a Hydra and wish it was available when I was getting a chip but it wasn't. So that was about a $600 mistake and I could barely give that chip away because the price to have it returns to someone else cost almost as much as buying new. So I would highly suggest to get the Hydra. I bought my Hydra with gear head tunes on it for I think $425 plus I put some of PHP's free tunes on it engine runs smooth like in Stock setting with my previous chip going from stock to a tune thereally was a big difference in engine noise I'm guess way aggressive timing was the issue.

Last edited:

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I agree the hydra is the best out there. Justin(DP) it would be nice to have your tunes available for the hydra. Hint hint

KB'sF350

Reaction score
I was told by a mechanic that my truck - 2002 F350 7.3 - already had a tune and he said I would not like it if he removed it. Would that tune need to be removed prior to installing the Hydra?

DocBar

Reaction score
I would listen to Derek and I would call Matt at ******** for tunes.
Hydra vs TS is like Starship Enterprise vs Space Shuttle Enterprise.
\With s Hydra, you can try several tuners and go with the one you like best.

DocBar

Reaction score
I was told by a mechanic that my truck - 2002 F350 7.3 - already had a tune and he said I would not like it if he removed it. Would that tune need to be removed prior to installing the Hydra?
Do you have a chip? The PCM can be reflashed to remove a tune. If it's an older truck, I would have it removed and buy a chip. Tuning has come a long way and, depending on the tuner, is much more reliable and safe.

DocBar

Reaction score
I would go with Hydra also. I learned a lesson and didn't listen the first time when people told me not to go with another tuner because your locked into that tuner and some of the issues I had with the tuning of that tuner never got resolved so now I have a Hydra and wish it was available when I was getting a chip but it wasn't. So that was about a $600 mistake and I could barely give that chip away because the price to have it returns to someone else cost almost as much as buying new. So I would highly suggest to get the Hydra. I bought my Hydra with gear head tunes on it for I think $425 plus I put some of PHP's free tunes on it engine runs smooth like in Stock setting with my previous chip going from stock to a tune thereally was a big difference in engine noise I'm guess way aggressive timing was the issue.
You had a bad tuning experience with Matt? Was it live tuned? All of my experiences with Matt were live tuned and have been excellent.

Derek0525

Reaction score
No my bad tuning was with another tuner Wich I'm not going to name but it was with the chip I had before the Hydra. I still have gear head tunes and that's what I use 90% of the time