New injector o-rings new problems

chongzilla

Reaction score
I installed new orings and glow plugs today in my e99 7.3. After the injector install and before putting in glow plugs I bumped the motor with the harness disconnected and shot all the oil out of the cylinders. I wasn't expecting such a huge mess but after that the motor cranked freely. I put everything back together and it took a while to start but it finally started. It runs rough and has a knock. I let it idle for about ten min. Then drive it. It has low power and smokes white smoke like crazy. Did I kill it? What should I look at to fix this?

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
How far have you driven the truck since installing the new o-rings?
If less than 20 miles, go out and flog on it for a while. You could still have air trapped in the HPO system.

chongzilla

Reaction score
Just a couple miles. I am worried by the smoke. It stopped smoking initially then I revved it to 2500 and it started smoking white.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Just a couple miles. I am worried by the smoke. It stopped smoking initially then I revved it to 2500 and it started smoking white.

like mentioned already, drive it. it can take up to 100 miles before it's right. after it is up to operating temps, do a couple wot runs. if the problem is still there after 100 or so miles then re-evaluate the situation.

live life full throttle

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Yeah the smoking is from all the oil and fuel you dumped into the cylinder then into the exhaust. Need to get that and the air out of the system.

mandkole

Reaction score
Just some comments...

I go very slow on injector R&Rs. They can be a smoky startup w/ oil in pipe if you got a lot of oil/fuel in the cyls. I've always pulled the oil rail plugs first and I 'tampon' the cups to keep the residual oil/fuel drain from getting into the cyls.

On first start, I leave the VCs off for injector observation and for quick service. When its got a decent enough idle and they are all working, I then button it up for a drive.

Knocking on restart is possible due to air, but should be minimal and smoke on the drive should be minimal after the first mile or 3. A well lubed injector before install to protect the orings, making sure they are firmly seated in the cups, and confirmed electrical hookup. IMO, it may not idle great yet, but noticable smoke after as little as 5 miles of drive is not typical and should be thoroughly investigated. (when I helped a member do some injectors, we knew within the first couple miles that one of them was not happy--the fuel smoke never went away. It was warrantied by the builder.)

chongzilla

Reaction score
Well I pulled all the injectors again double checked the cups. All appear to be fine. I ran it and it smoked but it runs much better and the smoking is much less. Now I get white smoke after getting on it. It bellows out and after a bit if mellow driving it goes down but never completely away. It's only been driven a few miles since the second go around. Is the white smoke going to eventually work itself out or should I pressurize the coolant and check the cups? Oh, there is still a slight knock in the driver side. It sounds like a fuel knock to me but I'm no expert.

chongzilla

Reaction score
I did also notice some chuffing white smoke coming from the dip stick and crank case vent. I popped the oil fill and placed the cap on upside down. No pressure, the cap just stayed there and vibrated around. Aside from the slight knock it sounds pretty good.

chongzilla

Reaction score
Okay just an update. I took your advice and ran it. It smokes less and less but when I get on it and bring the RPM up to 3k it smokes blue smoke and I can smell some burning oil from the engine bay. Almost like I have an oil leak somewhere. It's too dark to get a good look at it but I will check it out in the morning.

Arisley

Reaction score
Did you lay a straight edge across the top of the injectors. If they are all at the same height, that means they are all either all the way seated, or none of them are.

chongzilla

Reaction score
Double checked it yesterday. They were there. My wife is driving it today since I'm out of town. She noticed a large spot of oil on the ground and facetimed with me. It was coming from the muffler. She also noticed a little puff of grey smoke on the days cold start which is the symptom I had before screwing up the oring change out. I just can't believe the exhaust has that much oil in it. It's kinda concerning to me.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Roger. I'm thinking that maybe the turbo is leaking oil into the exhaust. I will start looking there.

turbo seals are toast if there is that much oil getting out the tail pipe. stop driving it cuz it will die on whoever is driving it if the oil level gets low..

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online