new injectors in now IDM codes

jaybuller

Reaction score
Alright folks. I put my 160/30 injectors in and now im having problems in the mornings when i first start the struck(untill it warms up it is intermitent then doesnt come back till the next morning. It is an IDM code(the P1316) i took my AE and did a KOEO test and it came back with cyl#3 and CLY #4 high side open.

all my under vlalve cover harnesses are nice and tight no problems there. all the pigtails all the way to the fender is good. i did the buzz test all is sat there as well. I cleared the codes and then did all the tests on AE KOEO anyway. all comes back good. Also when the SES light comes on in the morning it still runs good and doesnt change just the light flickers on and off showing that code.
Any thoguhts? im baffled. All i can think of is possibly an actuall IDM issue but it didnt do this ever before the injector swap so i dont think so.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Maybe something inside the injector is bad. I left work the other day, truck lost alot of power, sounded weird as hell, and got p1316,, pulled over and ran a buzz test, got #4 high to low side open. Uvch ohmed out good, started truck w/o valve cover, and #4 was squrting NO oil out of the spout, this was the first time I had seen idm codes with a failing injector and not the uvch or solenoid

neverkickn

Reaction score
New or used injectors? Sounds injector related if it is only doing it cold.

jaybuller

Reaction score
they are unlimited remans. fresh from unlimited i figured if it was an actuall injector issue i would feel it running rough or at least a pitch change in the engine noise when the light is coming on but im not. Its still running smooth as glass when it does it.

jaybuller

Reaction score
no i did not ohm them. With the AE doing its tests and what not i figured that would catch a bad wire. Besides the fact that right now at this moment there is no problem and no codes so i know the ohm test right now would come back good. Because it is intermitant and has only done it first thing in the morning while the engine is cold that wont work for me unless i get a code that stays on.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
sounds like a sticktation problem. What kind of oil do you run?

You are right if the harness was bad, it would not pass the tests.

neverkickn

Reaction score
sounds like a sticktation problem. What kind of oil do you run?

You are right if the harness was bad, it would not pass the tests.

Did you mean stiction? And you think that can be a problem on a 7.3 with new injectors and fesh oil, assuming the latter?

jaybuller

Reaction score
i cleared them already. the AE said #3 and #4 high side open. i dont remeber the actuall codes or it saying high to low side open. Ill see if i can get the codes again. but i cleared them so i may have to wait till tomorrow morning for it to set off the codes again. Im pretty sure though the codes both said only high side open. not high to low side open.;

jaybuller

Reaction score
and yes they were it has brand new 15w40 oil delo 400, at the time of the injector swap. witch was 3 days ago. also new fuel filter as well.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I would still physically check resistance in uvch's, that way you KNOW, but thats me, and I dont like having to tear into something twice, and it is very likely the injectors are bad, new doesnt always mean perfect. when you said you ran a buzz test, all sounded equally loud yes?

jaybuller

Reaction score
yes all sounded the same crisp and loud. i hear you . If it does turn out to be bad injecotors that sucks cause one on each side! thats just my luck i would put the two bad ones on opposite sides of each other. Ill see if i can get somewhere tomorrow morning. I did recheck all the conections just now. they are all good and tight sn no bad wires. And is not throwing any codes right now at all so im gonna let it sit right where it is from now untill tomorrow morning so none of the wires can move or anything and fire it up in the morning and see if im back to throwing those codes again. If it does then im pretty sure it will be in the injector itself and ill just have to pull those two out and send them back to unlimited to get swapped out.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Did you mean stiction? And you think that can be a problem on a 7.3 with new injectors and fesh oil, assuming the latter?

Bad spelling I have...... if something is not quit right in the injector it can happen. These are remans not new injectors. not saying that is it But could be.

mandkole

Reaction score
Stick with looking at the wiring if IDM codes. Then at the IDM. Beyond the electro/mag. solenoid, everything is mechanical in the injector. The solenoid won't care about a B&P issue and vice versa...

Maybe swap the solenoids and see if the injector error positions move.

average

Reaction score
If you really think it's an injector just swap one of the problem injectors around and see if the issue follows it. (Although it would be a PITA)

jaybuller

Reaction score
you aint kidding about being a pain in the ass! so a sticktion issue coudnt cause an idm fault? I was thinking about it and I do believe it has to be a wiring issue or a idm issue. its funny how it only happens when cold though so im baffled. im not touching it though until tomorrow as it is sitting right where I left it with no codes and none of the AE tests fail and no problems reported. So I guess the test will be first thing in the morning if it does it again!

ghohouston

Reaction score
It takes like 10 minutes to pull either valve cover, with hand tools. And then injectors are one bolt, its a sinch once youve done it a time or a hundred

jaybuller

Reaction score
yeah then you dump oil all down in the cyl, get fuel in the oil and basically make a mess of everything! not to mention getting all that air in the oil rails! you make it sound like its as easy as changing the oil. when in reality in up on a step ladder cussin cause my belly is getting cut up from the radiator and whatnot then im bustin my knuckles tring to get that one bolt on the back! and then after its all said and done I need to change my oil because I just dumped so much diesel fuel in there pulling the injector out!

Latest posts

Members online