New Parts

DrDenny

Reaction score
Well, I haven't really done anything to my truck for a long time with the exception the normal maintenance, and replacing all the steering linkage and new ball joints. No new mods for years. My tunes are about 12 years old. Bill from PHP did'em back in the day.
So with that said I have a couple of things I will be installing hopefully this week or weekend at the latest.
GTP38R, and a PHP Hydra. almost got an Adrenaline HPOP as well, but with needing tires, front brakes and calipers. There went the HPOP. :flush:
But that's 2 more goodies!!:clapping::toast::clapping:
Think I will do the chip 1st for an apple to apple comparison.

Arisley

Reaction score
I would do the turbo first. See how it does on the old tunes. Guaranteed to bring a smile to your face. Enjoy the permagrin for a week. Then install the new chip, with new tunes. Another permagrin. Then with the Hydra, update some tunes, another parmagrin.

Get the gist here, PERMAGRIN for the win.

DrDenny

Reaction score
I was thinking chip 1st, as I can change that and compare, then do the 38R, and try with both chips.
Either way I am sure to have a perma-smile for a long time to come. Hell I still smile every time I drive it!

DrDenny

Reaction score
Well, both the PHP and the 38r showed up last night from the big brown truck. Okay! So I put the chip in 1st.:toast:
Tomorrow is the 38r, given it's not raining!:shocked:

DrDenny

Reaction score
Oh my! the chip was very cool, but I slapped the 38r on yesterday and OMG! What a major difference!
Now to start playing with different tunes for the Hydra!

DrDenny

Reaction score
So with the tunes for my PCM code UKN0 there not as many choices for tunes compared to the PMT1. Bill had me run the PMT1 for years on my 4 position chip. So with the UKN0 tunes my truck would get a GPM code with every cold start, on every tune, swap with both my other 4 pos chips and no code. Put PMT1 tunes and had cold start code for something with the glow plugs on bank 1. After several days clearing the codes twice a day, once in the am on start up and evening cold start to go home. Then the codes just stopped.
Either way the truck would start easily when cold, with a higher idle 875'ish, then drop down.
Since installing the 38r on cold start it romps, the colder it is the worse it romps, but i slight touch of the throttle and it settles right down, but the the cold start high idle (875'ish RPM) deactivates and drops to normal idle. It will also romp on a cold start with even with the hydra is in the 00 position (by-pass mode). I can shut it down immediatly and it will start back up fine. go figure.
I will try no chip and old chips. But no romp prior to 38r on cold start even with hydra.
I love the no start. I had to stay over night for work last night. Set no start, cycle key and removed switch from dash. No "Wait to Start" light and it just cranked and didn't start. Plug it in select appropriate tune cycle key and she fires! Awesome feature! :grin2:
The tunes are PHP. After I purchased the PHP a few hour later I saw Swamp's was selling them for the same price, with PHP tunes and Swamp's tunes, wish I would have seen that 1st!
I also need up pipes as they look like they just started leaking up top( small, not to much soot), but I am sure it will just get worse.
38r sounds totally awesome nice whine and sounds like a jet.Not to loud, can't wait to put the straight pipe back in.

alradco

Reaction score
I put a 38r on mine a few months ago. Made a huge difference. I tow a pretty decent sized trailer too and EGT's dropped a bit as well. Great turbo for our trucks.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So with the tunes for my PCM code UKN0 there not as many choices for tunes compared to the PMT1. Bill had me run the PMT1 for years on my 4 position chip. So with the UKN0 tunes my truck would get a GPM code with every cold start, on every tune, swap with both my other 4 pos chips and no code. Put PMT1 tunes and had cold start code for something with the glow plugs on bank 1. After several days clearing the codes twice a day, once in the am on start up and evening cold start to go home. Then the codes just stopped.
Either way the truck would start easily when cold, with a higher idle 875'ish, then drop down.
Since installing the 38r on cold start it romps, the colder it is the worse it romps, but i slight touch of the throttle and it settles right down, but the the cold start high idle (875'ish RPM) deactivates and drops to normal idle. It will also romp on a cold start with even with the hydra is in the 00 position (by-pass mode). I can shut it down immediatly and it will start back up fine. go figure.
I will try no chip and old chips. But no romp prior to 38r on cold start even with hydra.
I love the no start. I had to stay over night for work last night. Set no start, cycle key and removed switch from dash. No "Wait to Start" light and it just cranked and didn't start. Plug it in select appropriate tune cycle key and she fires! Awesome feature! :grin2:
The tunes are PHP. After I purchased the PHP a few hour later I saw Swamp's was selling them for the same price, with PHP tunes and Swamp's tunes, wish I would have seen that 1st!
I also need up pipes as they look like they just started leaking up top( small, not to much soot), but I am sure it will just get worse.
38r sounds totally awesome nice whine and sounds like a jet.Not to loud, can't wait to put the straight pipe back in.
38r has absolutely nothing to do with the cold start..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

DrDenny

Reaction score
38r has absolutely nothing to do with the cold start..

live life full throttle

I get that part...But with either chip no trouble with cold starts. However with the 38r and any of the 3 chips I have, when a cold start occurs it will romp. Only time no romp is when the chip is in the 00 setting.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
00 is bone stock correct? romps on every tune with all chips except in the stock setting? with no chip in the pcm, no romps?

live life full throttle

DrDenny

Reaction score
00 is bone stock correct? romps on every tune with all chips except in the stock setting? with no chip in the pcm, no romps?
Correct!
Prior to 38r I had a chip (tune by Bill PHP) for the past 12 years, and it never left the 120 setting except for towing. Always started fine, it would romp maybe once or twice in it's time. I also had a chip that I was constantly re-flashing as I have loads of tunes from back in the day when I would sell chips w/Bill's calibrations and do some re-flashing out here on the west coast...Anyway
Prior to the 38r install I also ran all 3 chips to see how the PHP really stacked up against the other 2, all was fine and I liked having the same hex code I was previously using, but with loads of tunes and no trans programming. Love it!!!
I have tried multiple cycles of the key to get the glow plugs nice and warm, no difference. for now I start in in 00 and let it warm up, shut it down switch calibrations and starts no problem all day until it is cold again. ???

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Correct!
Prior to 38r I had a chip (tune by Bill PHP) for the past 12 years, and it never left the 120 setting except for towing. Always started fine, it would romp maybe once or twice in it's time. I also had a chip that I was constantly re-flashing as I have loads of tunes from back in the day when I would sell chips w/Bill's calibrations and do some re-flashing out here on the west coast...Anyway
Prior to the 38r install I also ran all 3 chips to see how the PHP really stacked up against the other 2, all was fine and I liked having the same hex code I was previously using, but with loads of tunes and no trans programming. Love it!!!
I have tried multiple cycles of the key to get the glow plugs nice and warm, no difference. for now I start in in 00 and let it warm up, shut it down switch calibrations and starts no problem all day until it is cold again. ???
i would check contacts on the pcm where you pull the chip in and out. by the sounds of it, you have pulled the chip out a LOT.... see if all contact points are still tinned or if the cooper color is showing..

did i ask what oil you run and how many miles on this oci?

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online