new project.....resurrecting a dead 6.0....hopefully

gwunter

Reaction score
Well my Buddy traded an old motorcycle and a running 95 f250 7.3 for an 03 f250 6.0......non-running. Prev owner said it started running rough and putting out white smoke. Also said it threw a code that would indicate a bad injector, I don't know the code. We towed the truck home. And now it won't even turn over. Supposedly prev owner had head studs done and also replaced a cooler. The coolant res shows signs of previously having oil in coolant. Head gaskets were supposedly replaced also. 200k miles. I was really hoping to hear it run and assess the situation myself. I perused the no start sticky, but haven't applied it to the truck yet. Gotta get this running to go pick up a 4bt motor for a repower job. I wish I had more info to give but, this is all I got to work with so far:( any thoughts, thanks all

gwunter

Reaction score
The plot thickens....we looked the vehicle over this evening. After resolving a starter malfunction, it was clearly evedent that the motor is locked someway. I then noticed that theheads are not studded:( seller was a liar!! The vehicle was supposedly parked under its own power, so the only conclusion I've come to is it is hydro locked because of I'm assuming bad head gaskets. Anyone have any thoughts on this. We are now for sure the starter is working.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Blown egr cooler can also hydrolock a engine. A injector that was not installed properly (tightened enough) will cause the copper chamber washer to burn off. Then everytime you turn the key on, the fuel pump will push fuel into the cylinder...

sootie

Reaction score
i have a good condition studded motor out of an 05 with 108k miles on it if you wanted to just buy a motor and throw it in...

gwunter

Reaction score
Well the problem seems to be fixed. It turned out to be a bad #7 injector. It still put out a good plume of whitish/ bluish smoke for the first 5 miles but it seems to have cleared up. Starts good and rubs good now. Almost seemed like a too easy of fix. I wonder what will fail next......

Latest posts

Members online