New Red Head Steering Box

Out There

Reaction score
Just had this installed a few weeks back. 2005 F250 PSD with 9" lift.
Around 130k on original steering box. Wandered around a fair amount on uneven roads. Had several people look at the steering while turning the wheel and nothing was obvious other than slight play on the drag link near the steering box.
The steering wheel felt tight but there was some play of 2" or so in the steering wheel before the truck reacted to turning the wheel. Did not feel like an old car with play in the gear box that was obvious.
Constantly moving the steering wheel to correct and keep driving in a straight line. No one handed driving....
A friend of mine is a Shop Foreman at a local dealership and he mentioned the Ford replacements are no good and are remans.
After reading some recommendations here I decided to buy a new Read Head steering box.
Very pleased with my results. It took out exactly what I was hoping. The steering reacts immediately to steering wheel input. Feels like it should again.
Does not solve the truck moving around on uneven pavement but I did not expect it to. Much more comfortable driving now.
4 Wheel alignment to follow.
Thought this might help some with the same issue

Out There

Reaction score
$480 plus $250 Core deposit which has been credited. Their website is worth a look. Not cheap but worth the extra $. You could spend half that much and not fix the problem. They machine and install bearings where they don't exist in the factory units. If I remember correctly...

79jasper

Reaction score
Seems bigger tires always pull on uneven surfaces.
I can't remember who, but some company will also modify the fluid passages for better flow, also helps hydroboost braking.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

powerlifter405

Reaction score
$480 plus $250 Core deposit which has been credited. Their website is worth a look. Not cheap but worth the extra $. You could spend half that much and not fix the problem. They machine and install bearings where they don't exist in the factory units. If I remember correctly...

I just recently grabbed one from Swamps and it was well worth it. Perfect and tight right out of the box. My PSC unit wasnt as tight out of the box and the RH is heads and tails above any cardone unit.

My steering system was worn. The steering gear w/ all new ford linkage was a huge improvement. The ball joints were the icing on the cake. Well worth it, especially doing yourself.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.