New setup for the MPD Cabelas truck

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
Just an update switched out the 75/83 to a 75/87 and gained 2.5 mph in the quarter and boost was holding 79.8psi down the track compared to the 72 it was before
going to try a 1.0 coated housing when it gets back from the coaters to get the boost down a little

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Damn. Do you guys have any idea what back pressure is at 80 psi of boost? Crazy that the stock valvetrain is taking all that abuse.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
wonder why the bigger exhaust wheel made the boost go up? 2 mph is huge at the 120 mph level...

How did it spool with the different wheel..

Thought you were going with an s480? Or is this the upgrade you were talking about

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
wonder why the bigger exhaust wheel made the boost go up? 2 mph is huge at the 120 mph level...

How did it spool with the different wheel..

Thought you were going with an s480? Or is this the upgrade you were talking about

I wanted to move to the 87 turbine first to see if it made spoolup worse but stayed same actually better from low rpms
I'm going to a 80mm for pri show I think

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I have seen in some set ups that a big turbine with a really tight housing works well... maybe this is more proof.

Interesting find craig thanks for the info.

MINK

Reaction score
I still want more info on the backpressure but awesome to see you pushing the envelope Craig!

Dzchey21

Reaction score
yeah..didnt think of that.. maybe a/r is the one that drops boost and bp.

Both should do the same thing to a degree. Bigger wheel allows for more exhaust to occupy the exhaust housing allowing for a drop in bp.

My theory on the bigger turbine is that of leverage on the shaft. Meaning think of how much effort it takes to loosen lugnuts with a long handled wrench compared to a stubby ratched. Alot easier with the longer handle. But on the flip side after its loose which one takes them.off faster? The short one.

So I think the key is finding a wheel big enough to start spinning faster but not too big that you can't drive it fast enough.

I think a tight exhaust housing helps This because it helps keep the exhaust velocity up as it hits the wheel. Hince why I think the boost actually went up instead of down.

Alot of guys running gt55s run the. .90 housing on.them.with good luck. Just like what mpd has found with their singles. ... course it helps to have a good turbine wheel to begin with.

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
the bigger turbine helped alot with the low end spool up the turbo lites at 1500 rpms crusing and at 65mph im at 5psi

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I WOULD just leave that housing and just gate the total boost where you want it. sounds like you have a winner

kdogg85

Reaction score
You guys are the mid to late 60's on steroids. I am glad to see a few places bringing out the rediculous power with drivablity still in mind.

So, when will you guys break out the cryptonite reactor with plutonium boosters?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.