New Shortblock = Loss of power?

jkidd_39

Reaction score
I cracked a piston. Ford send me a new "extended" short block. Oil pan, front case, new oil cooler.. everything but accessories, heads and chargers, injectors and injection pump.

I have 1400 miles on the engine right now. Varied RPM's first 500 miles.. didn't tow till 1200 miles.

I had a 10k trailer on the tail today. I cannot make over 30-35#s of boost.

I see 1200degrees EGT @ 33lbs boost/55 EBP

Before it was tough to get over 1100 degrees even w/ twice the weight behind me.

I switched from a full egr delete w/ wastegate to block off plates. Strange thing is my EBP hasn't changed but my level of boost seems sluggish to build.

I'm thinking boost leak on my uppipes.. Here is the plate I got from BgBlkDdge..

Not too happy w/ it.. He said he hasn't heard any issues..

8052e3c4.jpg

e7714677.jpg

Thanks for the help guys.. I will snap a pic of the pipe tonight and see if we got soot. It's still 98 degrees out so i'll let the concrete cool first haha..

White_monster

Reaction score
Hmmm. Boost might be a bit low but not by much. Egts sound about right for blocker plates, I ran them on that tune and saw the same temps. The wastegate is able to dump the back pressure and allow the vanes in the turbo to stay where they want instead of the BP telling the computer to change there angle of the vanes. I'd say your new numbers are a direct result of taking the gate off. I can't physically see the truck so I can't confirm this thou.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
What can I monitor on my DD to get a better feel? I checked my VV duty cycle and it appears to be working fine. Was thinking it could be that.

Thanks alot for the help man.

White_monster

Reaction score
You can watch the VGT duty cycle. There's not much you can do next to puttin the gate back in. The 210 tune has all the factory safety's in it so the turbo could be driven harder because the BP would climb and cause the vanes to back off. Basically with the gate you could hit, 60psi BP and that's just for easy number, and after that the gate would open and relieve the extra pressure but the vanes in the turbo would keep driving the turbo and you would get the extra boost. With the gate gone and you hit 60psi BP and again for easy numbers, once you hit that number anymore pressure in the exhaust and the computer tells the vgt controller to back off, computer prob cuts fuel to drop heat and the drop in exhaust heat and the VGT backing off net you less boost. Heat is what drives the turbos thou. I'd say your hitting the temp limits in the tune and there's nothing you can do other than change tunes.

Latest posts

Members online