New to me 2004 6.0

np205

Reaction score
Hello, traded a 95 7.3 on a 2004 6.0 ccsb 4X4 auto. Looking to try and make sure I keep it up and running good, and update what needs to be done to make it better. That being said if I take care of the EGR :naughty: will I have a check engine light on all the time??? Is a updated 58v ficm better than a ficm programmer? What is a good programmer to run?

My goals is just have a healthy running truck, I am going to go with 4" exhaust turbo back, updated oil cooler, updated turbo drain, EGR ******, WW2, blue spring kit, intake, pyro, and a programmer to put it all together. Truck has 99K on it and I plan to stay with stock injectors. 6.0 is new to me, wrenching is not, have diesel mechanics degree.

My other question is did I miss anything, would a deep tranny pan also be a good upgrade???

Any insight would be great.

Thanks,

Owen

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Head studs are a must when running a programmer. Use factory gaskets when you do it. I have a ficm programmer in my truck, and really like it. I haven't had any experience with 58v, however with idp's ficm programmer it takes out the inductive heating, so there is no room for error when cold cold for sticking spool valves. They did fix that with an updated tune thats not as powerful, but runs good cold. I like idp's tunes on an sct, and spend the extra for custom. If the truck is a late build make sure the dummy plugs get updated. The stand pipes will come with factory gaskets. If its an early build, replace the icp and pigtail. With the programmer getting rid of the egr will not set a lght. As far as the deep pan goes, if you're towing, yes. If not, monitor your temp and see if you need one. Other than that, i would just make sure fuel pressure holds at wot, and repair that as needed for longevity. But off the top of my head that should take care of he majority of issues.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Forgot, you should probably put a coolant filter in as well to keep the oil cooler from plugging up.

JMart

Reaction score
Some trucks blow and some don't when you program them. Driving style plays a role in that too I believe. I ran my 6.0 on a street tune for 6 months and then an extreme no stud tune with a powermax for 2 years before I studded my truck. The head gaskets still weren't blown when I did it. It was going in for a new oil cooler and so I decided to have the heads done while it was there. They aren't a must, but they are a good idea.

np205

Reaction score
Didn't say it on my first one but yes, coolant filter will go in. It'll be a little bit but I'm just going to do things as I can. Thanks for the advice.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Good luck with the new truck. They're a completely different animal from the 7.3. Especially coming from an obs. Should be a hell of a lot of fun.

np205

Reaction score
First trip in it tonight on the highway, great stuff. 24mpg, holy cow, hand calculated 121 miles and5 gal of diesel

Latest posts

Members online