New to me 7.3

Cuznfab

Reaction score
First post on PSA, been a lurker for a while.

So I bought a 2000 F250 crew cab with the 7.3. I have no history on the truck. It has 207,000 miles. About an 8 inch lift on 37s. I did notice while I was under the truck putting on steps that it has a cat and muffler delete as its a straight pipe but it looks like stock 3 inch. It has a nice tranny leak, I cant really see where its coming from, but looks to be around the pan. I dont have much time to work on the truck myself, especially this time of year since Im an HVAC technician. I will be taking it to someone, more than likely Reliable diesel or Strictly Diesel here in the Phoenix area.

Besides the tranny issue, what other things do you think I need to look at? I will be using the truck as a daily driver and a tow rig. Should I just have the shop go through it and tell me what it needs and go from there? The truck drives great, feels like it has power but I havent really tested it much. I feel like I should have the trans rebuilt since its leaking and I have no clue whats been done to this truck. I want some added power but I dont need to go crazy.

What do you guys think?

95-SimpsonOBS

Reaction score
Diesel Power had an article in May 2012 issue on how to make any truck bulletproof, I'm starting to do things like that to mine, be a good place to start. If you want milage out of it I would get rid of the lift and 37s. just my .02 on that. If the trans is leaking I would definitly have it checked out. Based on my experiences if it has a hacked up exahsut like you described I would be all for having a professional take a look at it just to make sure nothing else was messed with, a lot of people mod trucks and do it wrong or half-ass it. If you decide to add a lot of power make sure you have all the work done that will hold the power you plan to throw at it ie. dont get an overhauled trans if you want 500+ HP, go with a built trans with a good rep for holding power like BTS or John Woods.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
trans leak may be the extention housing gasket... everybody said they dont leak, bull****! mine was pissing

Cuznfab

Reaction score
Well its not a true daily driver as my work provides me a van. I dont tow all the time, but have a 39ft 5th wheel toy hauler. Been using my buddies chevy to tow it at the moment. We use it about 4 times a year right now.

The lift will be staying, Its not over the top in my opinion and my 5th wheel has the axles flipped and it lines right up.

I think I may just order a new Woods or BTS tranny and have it put in. Not sure which brand yet, but gonna have the exhaust done and go 4 inch turbo back.

So, Being new to the whole tuner thing. Do i need to get a chip and gauges or something like an Edge monitor? I just dont know what to get for my needs.

Are there any deletes I need to do on this 7.3? With the milage should I have the head gaskets replaced and go ARP studs? Also with over 200k miles do you think Im due for a new HPOP? What else would you recommend with 200k miles on the truck?

I know, tons of questions but I didnt think you guys would mind being PS junkies and all =)

Thanks

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
I would skip the edge tuner or edge monitor, and go straight to a custom TS chip with gauges. I'm currently running Cale at Tyrant Diesel's tunes and aint been dissapointed. Not to mention I have previously ran and dealt with hypertech, bully dog, and edge. None of those have came close to the TS chip with Cale's tunes. Just my .02!!!

purpleheart350

Reaction score
As far as hpop I would get someone to see you numbers and go from there. My truck has 324k before I swapped hpop and mine still had the original hpop when I swapped.

Latest posts

Members online