New to the 6.0 world!

Lysons

Reaction score
Well I just got a 6.0 and I need a good list of your basic "bulletproofing"!
That and any mods that will be worth my while!

Here she is!
It's a 2004 CCSB Lariat with an 8" lift on 35" BFGoodrich tires.
248,000 KM on it or 154,000 miles.
IMG_1572.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
First things first. Toss a coolant filter kit on it. Run it for about 1k miles, take the filter off and cut it open, see what ya got. Judging by that you can flush your coolant and change to a ELC.

At the same time pick up a monitor to watch your deltas. As always with a new vehicle. Go from top to bottom, front to back with new fluids and OEM filters

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score
CTC hit the nail on the head. The only thing I would add to that would be other basic stuff like an egr cooler ****** and the blue spring mod.

Last edited:

Lysons

Reaction score
First things first. Toss a coolant filter kit on it. Run it for about 1k miles, take the filter off and cut it open, see what ya got. Judging by that you can flush your coolant and change to a ELC.

At the same time pick up a monitor to watch your deltas. As always with a new vehicle. Go from top to bottom, front to back with new fluids and OEM filters

CTC hit the nail on the head. The only thing I would add to that would be other basic stuff like an egr cooler ****** and the blue spring mod.

Filter kit and monitor will be going on ASAP!
EGR deeleet will be happening too!
Would a really mild tune be too much for stock head bolts?
And what exactly is the blue spring mod?

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score
Blue spring bumps up fuel pressure slightly as the stock spring tend to wear out over time and drop pressure. In my experience a mild, non studded tune is fine as long as you monitor your deltas.

1BD9D7

Reaction score
I would consider tunes up to +100 rwhp safe with regular head bolts, mines called a street tune supposed to be about +100 rwhp

The blue spring replaces the original spring underneath the under hood fuel filter. Increases fuel pressure compared to original spring to make sure you have enough fuel pressure at low idle up to full throttle. I planned to do it then kinda forgot about it, the kit is over $60 and I figured on getting the spring by itself but could not find it that way.

Lysons

Reaction score
Blue spring bumps up fuel pressure slightly as the stock spring tend to wear out over time and drop pressure. In my experience a mild, non studded tune is fine as long as you monitor your deltas.

I would consider tunes up to +100 rwhp safe with regular head bolts, mines called a street tune supposed to be about +100 rwhp

The blue spring replaces the original spring underneath the under hood fuel filter. Increases fuel pressure compared to original spring to make sure you have enough fuel pressure at low idle up to full throttle. I planned to do it then kinda forgot about it, the kit is over $60 and I figured on getting the spring by itself but could not find it that way.

I know custom tunes seem to be the way to go, I was thinking either IDP or ********.
Opinions on who you guys run?

And I will look into getting a blue spring kit ASAP then!
Thanks!

kwelch08

Reaction score
Blue spring, egr ******, coolant filter, ******** tune, egt probe kit with whatever monitor you get, intake, exhaust, and new oil cooler. If I were you I would also do head gaskets and studs if you have the funds.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Lysons

Reaction score
Blue spring, egr ******, coolant filter, ******** tune, egt probe kit with whatever monitor you get, intake, exhaust, and new oil cooler. If I were you I would also do head gaskets and studs if you have the funds.

Already have a pyro and boost gauge on it.
Was thinking Edge Insight CTS 2, MBRP 5" TBE, not sure what intake and tunes though.
Oil cooler, blue spring and filter, who should I talk to about these?

kwelch08

Reaction score
There are a lot of good sponsors on here. The no limits intake it's top quality. I have the s&b and will be switching it out real soon. The cts2 is a good monitor. Try bulletproof diesel or RCD. I also have the mbrp 5" and love it. My neighbors not to much. With my kc stage 2 turbo they say it sounds like a jet plane at 5am haha. Check out the sponsors section and check them out.

1BD9D7

Reaction score
My tune is from Idp they seemed popular and reasonable on price, I just bought one custom tune, definately ghead seems at least equally popular around here. They acted like many people have used the tunes intended as "studded only tunes" on engines with head bolts (not that they recommend it) but I was not worried about max power just better than stock. They also said fuel mileage would not take a hit if the truck was driven conservatively, but it definately went down and I don't run it too hard at all. But who cares lol

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Personally, I'd do oil and filters like said, egr ******, coolant filter, blue spring, oil cooler(you probably need one) and a CTS like mentioned.

Studs would be recommended of course.

No limit intake is on my list of things to get.

And I ran mine for 15k mi with no studs and Matt's SRL file, then with a powermax, then SRL+ and powermax before I did studs, and I only did studs because I had a hpo leak and knew I wanted to do injectors and a bigger turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Matt's SRL runs great, shifts great, low smoke and safe for stock head bolts.

patricku47

Reaction score
Another vote for Matt's SRL. I ran it for a while before I did my head studs without issues. The original head gaskets still looked good at 190k miles when they were changed. It is by far my favorite daily driver tune.

Lysons

Reaction score
Update on my 6.0!
Took my scanner out and was running through some things, found out my FICM had low voltage so I changed that out today and boy did that make a huge difference.
Power, cold start, idling, everything was just day and night.
Also got a pyrometer and boost gauge hooked up.
Currently using a Bully Dog GT for monitoring, no tunes though.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Update on my 6.0!
Took my scanner out and was running through some things, found out my FICM had low voltage so I changed that out today and boy did that make a huge difference.
Power, cold start, idling, everything was just day and night.
Also got a pyrometer and boost gauge hooked up.
Currently using a Bully Dog GT for monitoring, no tunes though.

Pretty sure you can get custom tunes on the bullydog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online