New to the Diesel World... (2013 F250)

doo2002

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to the diesel world with buying my dream truck. I got a 2013 F250, it has about 63k miles. Bone stock. (Just added running boards).

tpslPsm.png

I have been driving for a few months but love the truck. However, I need some advice on a couple points.

1) While she is powerful, I would like to a pep in her step. I live in Denver and she is under warranty, so I can't necessarily ******.

2) I get she is a huge a** truck meant for hauling. However, is there anything I could do to make riding those Sh*** roads a bit easier? Hitting those bumps softer?

Look forward to hearing your advice!

sootie

Reaction score
do a Carli Commuter suspension kit to make it ride nice. No Limit stage 1 intake to free up some power and mileage.

Jrs6.7

Reaction score
If you're not planning on ******** I would just put a k&n in stock box. Jmho. I put a no limit on bone stock and felt like it lost bottom end and lost mpg. But I did it with intentions of tuning and I'm certain now it's doing its job .

Also did a Carli kit and ride was way better with stock tires and rims . But then I got 37's and now feels like back to stock so I can just imagine what stock with a level kit spacer would of felt .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

doo2002

Reaction score
do a Carli Commuter suspension kit to make it ride nice. No Limit stage 1 intake to free up some power and mileage.

Definitely will look into an intake. I did a quick search on that Carli kit, for the price, I will just tough it out and save my pennies for a nicer 6 inch kit and wheel/tires. Do it all at once.

doo2002

Reaction score
If you're not planning on ******** I would just put a k&n in stock box. Jmho. I put a no limit on bone stock and felt like it lost bottom end and lost mpg. But I did it with intentions of tuning and I'm certain now it's doing its job .

Also did a Carli kit and ride was way better with stock tires and rims . But then I got 37's and now feels like back to stock so I can just imagine what stock with a level kit spacer would of felt .

I would like to ******, but with emission testing, its a pain. Would Tuning without the ****** even be beneficial?

Jrs6.7

Reaction score
Yup there are plenty of companies that do tuning with emissions on. Just research and go with who you feel more comfortable. Or ****** and keep it as stock appearing as possible and find your self a friendly smog place ;)

sootie

Reaction score

AVOID K&N AT ALL COSTS-THEY DO NOT FILTER WELL ENOUGH FOR DIESELS.

Did you get a stage 1 or a stage 2. If it was a stage 2, not a wonder you lost bottom end-they require rescaled maf to function correctly.

Definitely will look into an intake. I did a quick search on that Carli kit, for the price, I will just tough it out and save my pennies for a nicer 6 inch kit and wheel/tires. Do it all at once.

A nicer kit? Carli has pretty much the best riding kit on the market and parts quality is top notch...hence the price.

I would like to ******, but with emission testing, its a pain. Would Tuning without the ****** even be beneficial?

In my opinion, not worth it.

doo2002

Reaction score
A nicer kit? Carli has pretty much the best riding kit on the market and parts quality is top notch...hence the price.

I meant a "nice-ish" 6 inch lift kit. Unless I was looking at the wrong kit, it appears that the commuter system was more for stock height.

doo2002

Reaction score
Yup there are plenty of companies that do tuning with emissions on. Just research and go with who you feel more comfortable. Or ****** and keep it as stock appearing as possible and find your self a friendly smog place ;)

I've heard of people keeping all the stuff and simply reversing the ****** for the smog test. How hard would something like that be?

Jrs6.7

Reaction score
Stage 1 kit with pre filter . Because I was told of needed calibration for stage 2. still felt a loss in bottom and saw a drop in mpg. And before I get questioned on heavier foot. No I drove it as easy as I could for a month trying to get better mpg and still could not.

And yes I know people are against k&n but a properly maintained and oiled k&n has always worked for me. Like I said just my opinion.

sootie

Reaction score
I meant a "nice-ish" 6 inch lift kit. Unless I was looking at the wrong kit, it appears that the commuter system was more for stock height.

Commuter is 2.5" level. Should be able to up that to a 4.5

I've heard of people keeping all the stuff and simply reversing the ****** for the smog test. How hard would something like that be?

It takes a couple hours...a helper is nice too. Bear in mind, if you are planning on that, you likely wont remove the egr cooler (it is shut off in most tuning). After a year or so the egr valve gets clogged up and may or may not function when you return to stock.

Jrs6.7

Reaction score
Commuter is 2.5" level. Should be able to up that to a 4.5

It takes a couple hours...a helper is nice too. Bear in mind, if you are planning on that, you likely wont remove the egr cooler (it is shut off in most tuning). After a year or so the egr valve gets clogged up and may or may not function when you return to stock.

Even after putting block off plates they will get clogged ??

Jrs6.7

Reaction score
That's what I thought I left egr intact with block off plates .

Also have "stock" higher flowing exhaust on it . So when I have to do emissions just swap the original one back on .

JRLott

Reaction score
Block plates take about 7 minutes to remove if you have a beer break in the middle.

Carli is definitely worth it. If you want level, go 2.5", or you can go with the 4.5". Couple that with Bilstien or Fox shocks, and you'll have the nicer riding truck you seek. Even better would be had with the addition of Deaver rear leaves.

I've ridden in a friend's 1/2 ton Chevy that rode like absolute chit, I think with a Rough Country lift. Definitely aptly named. Took my neighbor to pick his 1/2 ton Dodge up in mine with 2.5" Carli front springs and Bilstien shocks all around, and he commented on how good it ride. I have regular Bilstien shocks, not Carli's valving, and factory rear springs. Next shocks will be Fox, either regular or Carli valved.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
odds are your factory shocks are already shot.. for whatever reason, they go downhill much quicker on these newer trucks.. I put bilstien 5100s on mine last summer and wow what a difference!!

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

doo2002

Reaction score
odds are your factory shocks are already shot.. for whatever reason, they go downhill much quicker on these newer trucks.. I put bilstien 5100s on mine last summer and wow what a difference!!

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

I may just go that route right now. I am getting married in May, so most of my "extra money" is tied up lol.

doo2002

Reaction score
Quick Update: I bought the bilstien 5100s, all 4. Plus the steering damper. I plan on putting them on in the morning. Will update after.

Latest posts

Members online