New truck dilema, Ram vs. Ford

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
I have owned late models in the ford and dodge. There is nothing wrong with the dodge it is a nice truck. There are parts I like more about the dodge. I do believe the Ford is a better truck overall.

Buy the one you want!

superpsd

Reaction score
So far it seems like Ford has been getting the issues worked out on the 6.7 as was stated earlier it sounds like a majority of the problems were the 2011-12. Around the northwest a huge amount of the new service trucks are the superduty trucks with the 6.7

Big-Foot

Reaction score
I looked very hard at all three and ended up choosing the Ford primarily based on owners reviews.
I ended up eliminating the Dodge first due to suspension history and their history for body related issues (rust primarily).. Although I must say that the interior of the Dodge was very nice and luxurious.
GM was the next in line and ran a close second to the Ford which won. The one thing the GM had going for it in spades was the Allison transmission which has enjoyed a good run. The other is the longevity of the Duramax platform. I did feel, however, that GM was turning up the boost to the older platform to the point where it may be performing at or close to its original design limitations..
I ended up paying about a grand more for the Ford than the GM would have been and about 1500 more than a similarly equipped Dodge.
I still have a while to go before my new truck is delivered.

Reaction score
Since 2003 no stock truck has ever came better equipped with an automatic trans than fords. The 5r was good and the 6r is by far the best made auto to date ever put in a pickup. Way more power and longevity than any Allison could ever dream of.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Since 2003 no stock truck has ever came better equipped with an automatic trans than fords. The 5r was good and the 6r is by far the best made auto to date ever put in a pickup. Way more power and longevity than any Allison could ever dream of.

Agreed. An Allison 6 speed will barely handle 475hp. I know this personally from two of my previous lbz's. A clean 475hp at that.

Big-Foot

Reaction score
Agreed. An Allison 6 speed will barely handle 475hp. I know this personally from two of my previous lbz's. A clean 475hp at that.

How many Duramax diesels came with more than 400 HP?

My point was that the transmissions seemed to hold up well. I mean no disrespect to Ford's automatics (hell I bought one didn't I?)...

I had an Allison MD in my 26k# motorhome and it performed flawlessly.. Actually it was the ONLY part of the coach that never eff'ed up...

CATDiezel

Reaction score
How many Duramax diesels came with more than 400 HP?

My point was that the transmissions seemed to hold up well. I mean no disrespect to Ford's automatics (hell I bought one didn't I?)...

I had an Allison MD in my 26k# motorhome and it performed flawlessly.. Actually it was the ONLY part of the coach that never eff'ed up...

I was speaking in tuning terms obviously.... A stock A6 does fine.

The 5r140 is a monster tho....

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
2 things to add.

1. there are more diesel superduty's sold than dodge , gmc and chevy combined.
2. the 6.7 power stroke has less warranty claims than the 7.3 in the same number of year compared.

my belief , all the new trucks are nice. gm is at the end of their rope with the 6.6 and cannot keep up anymore, and the quality of the truck , as well as looks has fallen off. cant hate because the dmax platform has had a good run since they fixed the injectors on the LLY and up. but the truck, after 50,000 miles is a squeaky, rattling pile of plastic crap.

ram (since it was bought by the Italians and dumped the dodge name) , has gotten a lot better. but serious issues have continued with the ram part like wiring and electrical issues, but the cummins 6.7 is pretty good. the epa has bitten them pretty good as well.

ford seems to be taking a pretty good leap since the 6.0 .

Jesse_01

Reaction score
Only thing nice about the dodge is the megacab. So much room.

Your wife would probably like the seats of a new chev. Their new Denali hd is pretty sweet to just take for a spin.

Personally besides a new ford I would look next at a new gmc.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Mahdeys

Reaction score
Only thing nice about the dodge is the megacab. So much room.

Your wife would probably like the seats of a new chev. Their new Denali hd is pretty sweet to just take for a spin.

Personally besides a new ford I would look next at a new gmc.

I refuse to own a GM product. Bottom of the quality and poor electronics bin in my opinion.

The dealership brought in the truck I wanted to buy. 2015 CCLB lariat with the ultimate package. SHe was gorgeous. It had 86 miles from getting driven from another dealer and I took it for a drive with the salesman and I was ready to buy it. On the way back to the dealership (20 mile loop) the check engine light came on and it went into some sort of limp mode. DEF level was fine and it had a full tank of diesel. :( Dealer is looking at getting in another truck.

Dealer said tech hooked up IDS and it had a bunch of U codes and some emissions codes.

I won't lie at all I am now very nervous even though I know it's a machine and things happen. I'm waiting on a call from the dealership on what they find and when they can have another truck.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I see a lot of false theories in this thread. LOL..

PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Beauty... Ford.
Work.... Dodge.

I owned a tuned deleted 09.5 3500 head studded it day 10. Used it like a Work truck for 75,000 trouble free miles. It did not rattle shake bang let me down for 3 yrs. Used in the oil field to boot. Nothing easy on the truck with that.

Let me take you to about 3 CAT dealerships that have told ford goodbye and purchased all dodges. And rightfully so.... The oilfield industry HATES Ford right now. Mainly all cab chassis.

I can show you how many f550 's with 6.7L that have had multiple engines from ONE dealership. HOLT Cat to name one.

Riggs Cat did something smart. They tried two I think it was and laughed and bought all dodge 5500's.

That's funny.. company I work for is swapping to fords now.. 6 out of 10 hot shot drivers drive dodge. most of them are 13-14s, and almost all of them have had head gaskets pop. . 50k miles on a truck when the HG pop.. nah I don't think so . theres a guy with a 6.7 ford that has just under 400k miles.. they shut if off long enough to change oil and other than that the thing was packing down pavement.

my point is every motor will have issues, its just what happens when you cram that much crap in a box. personaly, I have not seen new dodges come in with loose headlights because they rattled apart, I hear about endless transmission issues, I have seen that they are cheaply made and I would just never buy one. that's me.

Jesse_01

Reaction score
I refuse to own a GM product. Bottom of the quality and poor electronics bin in my opinion.

The dealership brought in the truck I wanted to buy. 2015 CCLB lariat with the ultimate package. SHe was gorgeous. It had 86 miles from getting driven from another dealer and I took it for a drive with the salesman and I was ready to buy it. On the way back to the dealership (20 mile loop) the check engine light came on and it went into some sort of limp mode. DEF level was fine and it had a full tank of diesel. :( Dealer is looking at getting in another truck.

Dealer said tech hooked up IDS and it had a bunch of U codes and some emissions codes.

I won't lie at all I am now very nervous even though I know it's a machine and things happen. I'm waiting on a call from the dealership on what they find and when they can have another truck.

Haha you say gm is poor quality, yet your new ford it 86 miles before it had to go into the shop.

08Monster

Reaction score
Can't wait to hear the rattle trap posts about the POS Mopar. I can't stand noise when I drive

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online