New Truck

Rob D

Reaction score
Curtis tunes his own truck

Gotcha - I think I will go with G.H. to start.

Somewhat off topic - is there anyway to just load the tune you want in the truck and then remove the Hydra so you do not have to have the electronic controller on your dash. They look pretty big and are not exactly sightly from a cosmetic stand point - or do they maybe have extra long ribbons so you could mount inside the center console or something out of sight?

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
The hydra chip itself plugs into the back of the computer and the switch/display plugs into the chip and runs out the back. You could theoretically plug the switch in and pick the tune you want then unplug the switch or just hide it under the dash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CurtisF

Reaction score
Thanks Curtis. Who is your favorite tuner? I have ran Matts (GH) on my 6.0 and loved them. In the 6.0 world a lot of the tuning was around the 5r110 tranny and his shifts were great. Firm but smooth. With the truck being a ZF6 it will be interesting to see how tunes will change as the most noticeable for me in the 6.0 was the shift points.

There's a few I like, and Matt is one of them. He was a huge help getting me started on my own tuning and teaching me some of the finer points.

ibestroken

Reaction score
If I read correctly this truck is an early 03... before assuming it has pmr rods ( which really aren't an issue as long as you have good tunes. I recommend power hungry) You need to pull the inspection plug next to the oil filter base and check. There have been forged rod motors found in 2003 trucks from the factory.

Rob D

Reaction score
If I read correctly this truck is an early 03... before assuming it has pmr rods ( which really aren't an issue as long as you have good tunes. I recommend power hungry) You need to pull the inspection plug next to the oil filter base and check. There have been forged rod motors found in 2003 trucks from the factory.

From everything I have read that is the case for some lucky early 2002 build trucks but all later 02-03s had PMR?

ibestroken

Reaction score
Best to check and verify bud instead of just assuming in my opinion. A bolt head means you have pmrs and a nut means forged. (just incase you didn't know hoss)

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Start of production thru 1425746 are Forged Rods. 1425747 thru 1440712 are Powdered Rods. 1446713 thru 1498318 are Forged Rods. 1498319 thru final production run are all powdered.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Gotcha - I think I will go with G.H. to start.

Somewhat off topic - is there anyway to just load the tune you want in the truck and then remove the Hydra so you do not have to have the electronic controller on your dash. They look pretty big and are not exactly sightly from a cosmetic stand point - or do they maybe have extra long ribbons so you could mount inside the center console or something out of sight?
Yes it's possible to have your PCM "reflashed" with a new baseline tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Rob D

Reaction score
Picked her up today. Made the trip home no problem. Over 240 miles - hand calculated MPG was right at 20! Love that.

Only thing I am wondering about is this truck is damn near impossible to steer when at a stop. If you are parked and want to straighten out the wheels it is very difficult to do and I am a pretty strong dude. Is there known PS issues with the 99-03 trucks or any other front end items to check out. Wondering if whoever put the lift kit and dual stabilizers on messed something up??

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Try raising the engine speed up next time you are trying to turn and see if that helps. The pump may be simply weak or even the gear box itself may be getting tired. Of course those wide tires on heavy offset wheels doesn't help! Nice truck by the way, I would rock one in a heart beat to save money over my '15!

Last edited:

79jasper

Reaction score
I would start by flushing the powersteering system.
As I'm sure you know, it runs the brake booster also. So it puts double the stress on the fluid.
While I'll agree that pumps can go bad, there's really not a lot that can happen to them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
The dual stabilizers will drag more at very low speed. The system was considered only ok when stock, then it gets tired/worn, big tires, etc, its even more difficult. My system works fine, but the obs steering was easier to use when stopped than the SD is. I try to make steering moves when the tires are turning. Parking lots are not fun.

Rob D

Reaction score
Truck would not start this morning in 30 degrees. Contacted the prior owner and he said as the weather was getting colder he needed to plug it in. He only disclosed "extended crank" to me not a no start. Hopefully it is just the GP Relay. Picking one up today. Did not plug it in last night because I wanted to see just how bad the extended crank was - def. was not expecting a no-start condition at 5:30AM. Was pretty pissed off.

pilot4life

Reaction score
If it's a bad GP relay anything below 45 my truck just laughs at me when I try and start it. Replaced with a stancor relay and wired it to a switch to save the life of the GP during the summer. No issues since then

79jasper

Reaction score
Change the oil also. Synthetic will help. Check out Jim with lubrication Engineers oil.
Get a test light/ohmeter and check the glowplugs and relay before replacing anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

pilot4life

Reaction score
You can test to see if the relay is bad by jumping the large posts and if you need to start if you're in a jam

Latest posts

Members online