No crank/cam sync

JGman141

Reaction score
Hey guys I've been busy all summer doing a full rebuild of my motor, stripped down to bare block. I've got it all back together now with new crank and cam sensors but they won't sync up for some reason. Only new things besides bearings and rings are a colt stage 2 cam and upgraded valve train. I have AE and that's how I know there is no sync between the two. Any help would be appreciated.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Cam gear on 180* out? I just had one apart and noticed there are 2 marks on the cam gear and it would be very possible to use the wrong mark.

sootie

Reaction score
that or by any chance did your tone ring get bumped or tweaked when the crank was out?

JGman141

Reaction score
Cam gear on 180* out? I just had one apart and noticed there are 2 marks on the cam gear and it would be very possible to use the wrong mark.

I made sure I checked the timing and also made sure I had the cam gear on right. I have a lot of pictures when I reassembled the sort block and looked back through them and everything looks ok to me. I'll see if I can post them up so you can see.

Last edited:

JGman141

Reaction score
that or by any chance did your tone ring get bumped or tweaked when the crank was out?

I want to say no but one day I came back into my shop and found all my stuff moved so there is a possibility that it may have gotten bumped.

JGman141

Reaction score
I see all my usual codes except for the ebp code, not sure why that popped up all the sudden but I don't think it effects starting. Also my ipr will not move, it stays full open and I'm assuming that because of no crank or cam sync.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I see all my usual codes except for the ebp code, not sure why that popped up all the sudden but I don't think it effects starting. Also my ipr will not move, it stays full open and I'm assuming that because of no crank or cam sync.
It will if it is shorted as there are like 5 sensors that share a 5V reference. Try unplugging it and starting the truck.

JGman141

Reaction score
Well guys it turns out that my new crank sensor was bad, I replaced it just to make sure and I had signal. I also have the ipr fully closing now and the truck fired up. Thanks for all the suggestions to try and solve this issue. Who would have guessed that a "new" crank sensor is bad.

Latest posts

Members online