No fuel?

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
I just noticed the little wire in for the fuel heater is loose & read that can cause a short to the fuel pump relay / fuse can anyone tell me which fuse/relay under dash&hood I check?

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Ok so I pulled the line off the pump going out of the front of the pump & nothing came out but what was left in the line.Tomorrow Ill pull the rear line & put it in a bottle&see if it sucks.I dont think it will if not is there anything else I should do before I replace the pump?I fugure If the pump isnt bad dont drop the tank till Im ready to mod it.I.just need to get it running 1st

Arisley

Reaction score
Take the fuel cap off. Take the inlet line to the pump off. Fuel should flow if there is anything in the tank. If there is fuel in the tank, and no flow, Put a air nozzle off your air compressor in the line and pull the trigger. If it flows now, hook everything back up, cycle the key a couple of times for 30 seconds and start it up. If it runs OK, drop the tank and do the Hutch and Harpoon mods to it.

BTW, with the fuel filter lid off, you will not get fuel flow if you turn the key on. Unless, of course, somebody has gutted the standpipe in the fuel bowl.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I Dont get how the fuel system works as if the pumps out will it still suck.down whats in the bowl or not?
no. there's a stand pipe that is just under the fuel filter.
I just noticed the little wire in for the fuel heater is loose & read that can cause a short to the fuel pump relay / fuse can anyone tell me which fuse/relay under dash&hood I check?
read back a ways. it was mentioned.

and listen to andy.

can you hear the pump while you are under the truck wi5h the key on engine off?. if not then its shot...

and please stop using eather to start the truck!!!!!!

live life full throttle

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
So all.of the fuses look good when I turn the key on or have someone turn it on the fuel pump under the drivers seat dosnt have any sound or mechanical feel to it. The wait to start light I know does work

no. there's a stand pipe that is just under the fuel filter.
read back a ways. it was mentioned.

and listen to andy.

can you hear the pump while you are under the truck wi5h the key on engine off?. if not then its shot...

and please stop using eather to start the truck!!!!!!

live life full throttle

He mentioned it didn't make a sound or have any feel to it

Last edited:

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Dirst off dms thanks for replying to me so much.Next thanks everyone!Ok so I read back through & pulled the line off&cap no fuel.Slapped the tank felt empty.Gauge said full when I picked her up now it reads 1/4 tank.So fingers crossed Im gonna out it all back together & go fill up 4 5 vallon jerry cans hopefully thats it

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
with key on engine off you should easily be able to hear the pump run if it can. crawl under the truck and have someone turn the key on. it will have a noticeable whine to it if no fuel is flowing. if it is flowing fuel then it will have a nice hum to it... if the tank is near a 1/4 tank or less then its time to drop it and do the in tank mods and rule out any debris in the pickup tube. or possibly that the foot fell off...

live life full throttle

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
I will drop the tank next & mod it buf 1st let me ask this.I added 5 gallons of fuel todat which didnt not seem to do much.Never started never filled up fuel bowl,but my gauge did jump to full & the low on fuel light came.on.I then pulled the fuel.line in to the pump from the tank off & nothing came out..So.what I.wanna.know.is 5 gallons enough to atlesst have it flow from the line?Or is it blockage?I.will be dropping the tank.Not to sound like whoa is.me but.I have & cant spell half.of this..but.spinal stenosis,ososprias,a herniated disc,pinched nerve r.a. Fibromayalga p.t.s.d.a blood clot,tinitus, a 24/7 back spasam that never goes away &heART Liver&kidney problems & had a couple.holes blown& poked.in me so I.move real.slow.
I restore classic cars & bikes.for.s.living from my home shop.right now Im doing a resto.mod.on a 75 caprice, a.vw camper & 1 of only 202 special edition trans ams then my.83 monte carlo.drag car&67 harley & lifted 2nd gen ram.Im.litterally out of space & have noway.to get this thing in.my shop so its all being.done in a driveway which sucks because I cant get my air.lines upto it.
Anyways is 5 gal.enough to atleast have it run out of tank?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I will drop the tank next & mod it buf 1st let me ask this.I added 5 gallons of fuel todat which didnt not seem to do much.Never started never filled up fuel bowl,but my gauge did jump to full & the low on fuel light came.on.I then pulled the fuel.line in to the pump from the tank off & nothing came out..So.what I.wanna.know.is 5 gallons enough to atlesst have it flow from the line?Or is it blockage?I.will be dropping the tank.Not to sound like whoa is.me but.I have & cant spell half.of this..but.spinal stenosis,ososprias,a herniated disc,pinched nerve r.a. Fibromayalga p.t.s.d.a blood clot,tinitus, a 24/7 back spasam that never goes away &heART Liver&kidney problems & had a couple.holes blown& poked.in me so I.move real.slow.
I restore classic cars & bikes.for.s.living from my home shop.right now Im doing a resto.mod.on a 75 caprice, a.vw camper & 1 of only 202 special edition trans ams then my.83 monte carlo.drag car&67 harley & lifted 2nd gen ram.Im.litterally out of space & have noway.to get this thing in.my shop so its all being.done in a driveway which sucks because I cant get my air.lines upto it.
Anyways is 5 gal.enough to atleast have it run out of tank?
have you crawled under the truck to listen to the pump while someone turns the key on? and I doubt 5gal is enough that it will free flow out.

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
have you crawled under the truck to listen to the pump while someone turns the key on? and I doubt 5gal is enough that it will free flow out.

live life full throttle

Thats what Im saying! Mine always made a loud, dull "thud" when it stopped pumping after a minute or whatever it is.

Animosus

Reaction score
I had fuel in the bowl when my pump went out, and it would idle.. Barely.

Hook up a multimeter to the plug for the pump, turn the key on and make sure the pump is getting power. If it's not than I'd start checking the relay, fuse, inertia switch. If it's getting power and not running, well then suspect the pump. You can check voltage at the pump's studs too. Usually you'll have a significant voltage drop if it's done, mine was at 9.5V.

The only reason you'd need to drop the tank is if the pickup broke off or fell into the tank.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Now to be clear I do have tinituis..its where my ears ring 24/7 like a gun just went off.on the side.of my head.I usually use a mechanics stehascope?I know I spelled that wrong.But I cant seem to find it.The cost of a new pump is 151 green backs.Ill buy & if that dont fix drop the tank.I.am.thinking pump.because is I.blow into the line.going into tank though nothing comes out I do hear bubbles.How do I run a jumper just a wire to the hot cable to the batrery?Sorry electrical & vacuum are not my strong point& I.got rid of.my electrical guy because I had 2 cut my hours due to health..Well thanks fellas I cant belive u guys havent gone ape $|-| ¡ † on me

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Now to be clear I do have tinituis..its where my ears ring 24/7 like a gun just went off.on the side.of my head.I usually use a mechanics stehascope?I know I spelled that wrong.But I cant seem to find it.The cost of a new pump is 151 green backs.Ill buy & if that dont fix drop the tank.I.am.thinking pump.because is I.blow into the line.going into tank though nothing comes out I do hear bubbles.How do I run a jumper just a wire to the hot cable to the batrery?Sorry electrical & vacuum are not my strong point& I.got rid of.my electrical guy because I had 2 cut my hours due to health..Well thanks fellas I cant belive u guys havent gone ape $|-| ¡ † on me
yes just run a wire off the battery positive post for testing. easy enough to just pull the pump and do it on the bench or front of the truck. when you touch the jumper to the pump and its in your hand, it will jerk quite hard. should be torquey enough that you have to hold it tight. If it just slowly starts working then its prolly wore out.

live life full throttle

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
So I dont need 2 hook up a ground?I left it on the frame rail hooked a wire with clamp.off.of a convertor to a fully charged optima took end to pumo but heard nothing not even a spark the batts in truck are dead.Im.thinking the pump is already grounded out so do.I need 2 run a ground off thr neg post or is it just time to buy a pump?

Latest posts

Members online