No HPOP pressure

haligen

Reaction score
That almost sounds like you blew a hole in a boot.

live life full throttle

Would have been nice if it was. I had already disconnected my IC and went back to the older spyder a few weeks earlier. Checked the intake boots and everything was intact.

haligen

Reaction score
I found an old oxygen regulator and bogarted its pressure gauge. Still no pressure. Changed the hpop to another one and still no pressure. Put the borescope into the bolt access hole while cranking and everything seems to be moving as it should. I guess I need to pull the reservoir and see if maybe something is blocking the flow from there to the pump. I know I am getting some flow because I can register about 115psi, maybe something is blocking it so I can't get the volume needed. Although when I pull the pump oil leaks out and empties the res. So now I'm 3 IPR's and two pumps in and still can't produce high pressure oil just at the pump itself.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Was it a new hpop you swapped in ? Mine did the same thing with the 120-150ish cranking icp and it ended up being the pump. Died going down the highway too, just don't recall an audible pop sound.

haligen

Reaction score
It actually wasn't. It was from a junkyard motor I have. Was told it was running when it was junked but it's possible I have two bad pumps. The odd thing is I had it running with the junkyard pump. Ran about 10 miles before I blew out to much oil. Have yet to have high-pressure oil since.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
You have to be careful with putting the junkyard HPOP in. You need to verify what year the HPOP they are so you can put the correct gasket in. I doubt you have 2 bad HPOP and 3 bad IPRs. Something is going on and you need to diagnosis what the issue is. Stop throwing parts at it, you will never find it.

Put the pump back on that the motor was running. Once you do that, you need to fill the resevior with oil. Dead head the pump and utilizing the manual gauge, see how much pressure you had. If you have nothing, directly apply 12v to the IPR valve (make sure the valve is known working one and correct for the pump). Then check for pressure.

BTW: where are you located?

Billy T.
[email protected]

haligen

Reaction score
You have to be careful with putting the junkyard HPOP in. You need to verify what year the HPOP they are so you can put the correct gasket in. I doubt you have 2 bad HPOP and 3 bad IPRs. Something is going on and you need to diagnosis what the issue is. Stop throwing parts at it, you will never find it.

Put the pump back on that the motor was running. Once you do that, you need to fill the resevior with oil. Dead head the pump and utilizing the manual gauge, see how much pressure you had. If you have nothing, directly apply 12v to the IPR valve (make sure the valve is known working one and correct for the pump). Then check for pressure.

BTW: where are you located?

Billy T.
[email protected]

The pump that it started with was from the 96 junkyard motor, which I do have the proper gasket for. I just reinstalled that this morning, put 12v to the IPR (the new motorcraft one), and deadheaded the pump. No pressure with a full reservoir and 40psi at the inspection plug. I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC

mandkole

Reaction score
Two bad pumps makes no sense.. bear with me. You've got ipr function with 12v? You can hear/feel it work when powered? You've said the gear is tight but is it being driven?

njjeep

Reaction score
What about pressurizing the oil system with shop air like someone said before? Could an oring have blown out on one of the oil rails in the head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
I would pull the IPR off the HPOP and bench test it. Or you can simply check it under the hood with a battery. I am lucky and have a 15VDC power supply I found in a building the company I worked for bought and the boss said I could have it.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
What about pressurizing the oil system with shop air like someone said before? Could an oring have blown out on one of the oil rails in the head?

He's getting no HPO before getting to the heads. So something is up with making pressure

I would pull the IPR off the HPOP and bench test it. Or you can simply check it under the hood with a battery. I am lucky and have a 15VDC power supply I found in a building the company I worked for bought and the boss said I could have it.

This ^^^^^^

Don't forget to fill the reservoir back upon IPR installation otherwise you will have to deal with bleeding air out of the HPO system.

The HPO system is relatively simple:
- LPOP supplies oil to the reservior
- Oil is fed to the HPOP
- HPOP makes pressure then get fed to the heads
- IPR controls the pressure by opening/closing orifice to dump oil. Applying +12v closes IPR to build pressure.

There's really nothing else in the system beside some orings.

Did you confirm you have the correct IPR for the HPOP you have installed?

You did check the fuses? Especially fuse #22

Also, remove the Hydra totally from the ECM. Don't put it on the stock tune position.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

BS Hauler

Reaction score
Did you put the washer on the bolt for the HPOP. Just asking. So far with what you have done it tells me that the HPOP is not rotating.

haligen

Reaction score
I checked that the gear was rotating with my borescope (the washer is in place), but just to be sure I wasn't crazy I pulled the reservoir. The LPOP looks like it's doing its job and the gear and pump appear to be spinning. :wtf:

https://youtu.be/X-zCrXd9oPc

haligen

Reaction score
He's getting no HPO before getting to the heads. So something is up with making pressure

This ^^^^^^

Don't forget to fill the reservoir back upon IPR installation otherwise you will have to deal with bleeding air out of the HPO system.

The HPO system is relatively simple:
- LPOP supplies oil to the reservior
- Oil is fed to the HPOP
- HPOP makes pressure then get fed to the heads
- IPR controls the pressure by opening/closing orifice to dump oil. Applying +12v closes IPR to build pressure.

There's really nothing else in the system beside some orings.

Did you confirm you have the correct IPR for the HPOP you have installed?

You did check the fuses? Especially fuse #22

Also, remove the Hydra totally from the ECM. Don't put it on the stock tune position.

Billy T.
[email protected]

I have the IPR without edge filter which should be universal. All fuses check out fine. I essentially bypassed the PCM and Hydra when I went direct to battery with an IPR pigtail, still no pressure, but I can remove the Hydra and I have a spare PCM if needed.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
The IPR is not universal sort of. If you have a early model HPOP installed, it won't work. Same as the HPOP gasket. What is the part number on the HPOP?

Atleast have it narrowed down to the HPOP.

What is that compression sound in the video?

Billy T.
[email protected]

haligen

Reaction score
The IPR is not universal sort of. If you have a early model HPOP installed, it won't work. Same as the HPOP gasket. What is the part number on the HPOP?

Atleast have it narrowed down to the HPOP.

What is that compression sound in the video?

Billy T.
[email protected]

I decided that instead of playing around with two used pumps I should just pony up and get a new one. Ordered a new Bosch 17° pump from Riff Raff. I know it's possibly throwing parts at it but I do want this thing to be reliable and both pumps probably have well over 200k even if they did manage to start working. As for the compression noise, I have no idea. It's coming from the driver's side head, you can see the valve cover off, when I get the new pump in and put the reservoir back on I'll see if I can pinpoint it. Oh yeah, and the pump from my junkyard motor was an early style with the proper gasket but maybe something with the drain features being different is really screwing with it. Even if it did run for over 10 miles.

haligen

Reaction score
I got a 4000 psi gauge, hose, with fittings if you need one.

I forgot to thank you for the offer earlier. I managed to steal a gauge from an old o2 regulator and got the fittings to work with a factory hpop line.

Latest posts

Members online