No start, please help.

bluedge8

Reaction score
I guess it's my turn for a no start. here is the back story:
Over a month ago I started my Joe Daddy tight wad mod due to a chronic and pretty bad fuel leak in the valley from the fuel bowl. So I gutted the bowl and and related stuff then pushed the truck into the driveway and proceeded to clean the engine with simple green and a regular garden hose. I pushed the truck back into the garage and started cutting up the fuel pressure regulator and setting up my remote fuel filter. I had to leave out of town for work so I temped in the fuel filter and tried to start it. It cranked awhile then started, seemed to run on all eight, then it started to run rough so I stepped on the throttle and it wouldn't rev up at all and as I let off the throttle and it died. I didn't have time to deal with it until now. I did notice that my fittings at the fuel filter were leaking so I fixed those and tried to restart it tonight and it cranked awhile then fired on one or 2 cyl's and that was it. After that it just cranked and would not fire. So I was thinking that maybe I fried the injector wiring to the uvch's but the connection looked good. I do not have AE but have a Scangauge, I did a buzz test and they all sounded good. I checked dc and it was around 47% while cranking. icp while cranking went slowly then rose to 3200 or so and stayed there while cranking. I was thinking that water in the wiring was my main problem. I have wts light, and tach moves when cranking. A list of ideas please and thank you!

TurboM700

Reaction score
My guess when you where doing the fuel bowl delete you bumped the UVHC harness and they need to be replaced.

I have had trucks in for doing turbo work and end up replacing the harness from bumping them while working on them. They usually do the same things your does. Fire up but act like a dead pedal when trying to rev up. What you can try doing have someone crank on it while your under there wiggling the harness on each side if she fires up you know what the issue is.

This is all assuming that you have good fuel pressure.

bluedge8

Reaction score
That is a thought, I was all over in there. I might have an engine harness from a van I van adapt into the truck. Tonight I'm going to pull the harness off and check it out.

SPEEDDEMON31176

Reaction score
If you simply bumped the connection then all you need to do is make sure the connections are tight and sealed well. Make sure all the pins are making good solid contact.

bluedge8

Reaction score
I did spray the connectors with a little wd40 they all looked ok. I am wondering about the condition of the harness itself . I have an insulation testing meter,,,,, I might try that but it does send 1000v through the wires LOL

SPEEDDEMON31176

Reaction score
All you need to do is check the insulation for cracks and missing insulation. Check the terminals and make sure they are tight, clean, and unburnt.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Update,
I have no fuel coming from the fuel pump, is it common for a stock pump to just quit pulling fuel? I did not do any work at or before the pump. I have another mechanical pump sitting here, so I will swap it out and see what happens.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this sooner Dennis. Did you route the low side fuel intake through the filter or after?

bluedge8

Reaction score
Before switching out the pump, try switching fuel tanks (via the switch). Cheers!
I did try that, thanks though!
Sorry I didn't see this sooner Dennis. Did you route the low side fuel intake through the filter or after?

I think same as factory, If I am reading the plumbing right, I have fuel coming from the tank to the pump, from the pump to the filter, from the filter to the bottom of the fuel pump. then the cut up regulator is routed suspended and routed back to the tank.

bluedge8

Reaction score
thanks Joe, thats the way I have it. I have NO fuel, at all,,,,, lines are dry
Either the pump quit pulling fuel from the tank, or I have a problem further back. fun.

bluedge8

Reaction score
I only got 3 hrs of sleep last night, feeling sorry for myself sitting on the couch, maybe I'll go out and try priming the pump and make sure the filter is topped off.
btw no question that the tight wad mod had nothing to do with my no start.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Well, I worked on it tonight of all nights. I put fuel in both sides of the fuel pump up top, and fuel to the filter, and down the supply line from the tank. Nothing took a lot of fuel. Put it all back together and cranked on it for 30 sec, let it rest and cranked on it again and it started to fire- kept cranking and it was finally running! Apparently it did need to be primed- first time I've ever primed a mechanical fuel pump. So I checked everything over and went to go on a test drive aaaaannnnddd,,,,,,

IT BLEW THE LR WHEEL CYL!!!!!:fustrate::wtf::pointlaugh:
So now I get to do both rear wheel cyl's argh.

But as far as the running issue that is now solved, thanks to everyone who helped diag this thing!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.