No start(sometimes)

Pirogue

Reaction score
Started having trouble with the '05 6.0 this past year. Here are some details.

2,985hrs...
118,869 miles...
New ficm 7-13, 102k miles Atlas40...
Stock turbo...
Stock injectors (never replaced)...
Ran Hot Shot Secret last two oil changes...
Had head gaskets done twice...
New ICP and HPOP in 2008 41k miles...
New oil cooler and egr ****** 2011 79k miles...
Shaved heads, work valves, new glow plugs, new dummy plugs, new inj orings 2011 81k...
New C65-XHD interstate batteries 12/12...

Codes..
P0460-fuel level sensor A circuit
P0463-fuel level sensor A higher circuit
open
P0672-glow plug circuit
P0674-glow plug circuit
P0675-glow plug circuit
P0676-glow plug circuit
P2614-camshaft position circuit open
P2617-crankshaft position circuit open

Despite all these codes some things I read leads me to believe an injector is hanging up because FICM Volt will drop after engine is running. Makes any sense??

Always did maintenance on oil and fuel.

Sometimes the truck "Romps..Romps..Romps" and white smokes when you first crank it up.

Sometimes it will leave you stranded for 15 minutes after engine is warm and you stop it. It happens while cranking just like it's out of fuel then slowly start running a little longer, but when it does run it's iratic.

Other then the Rompy starts, and every now and then no crank issue, the truck runs great!!

Not Running
bb9f6bc8c552765b599273672c79231f.jpg

Running at idle
7b1fa8433645fe3b11db2cc0b9f6fe07.jpg

Running after 2 min
5d2e684d3b762d9eabba0c70a8beda7e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Looks like you need a ficm. At least that is where i would start. With your no crank, do you have good battery volage? Batteries are #1 killer of ficms.

As for your no start sometimes, sounds lime a hi pressure oil leak, what is icp at when it happens?

Your glow plug codes are more than likely because the harness is unplugged as all are on one bank, cam and crank sensor codes set from extendedcranking without starting. Probably need a fuel sending nit too.

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
check the fuel filter on the frame rail. Look at see if the cap is completely flush or not. I've seen two trucks lately that customers had someone change the fuel filters and someone had stuck a 6.4 fuel filter in the bottom location... They look almost the same but 6.0 has skinny oring on inner side that deals against inside of the housing. 6.4 is flat on the end. One truck was running for a few days and then cut off and wouldn't start back. Other one would run but while driving it would hesitate and run rough but wouldn't show up on contribution test. Air in fuel system cause all sorts of issues.

Pirogue

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.

To start with, I did notice the Battery voltage was @ 11.3V before engine was running, this was after sitting for 2 weeks KOEO. During cranking voltage would drop to 9.6V.

Yesterday was the first day I was able to monitor IPR (had to update the edge monitor), but it showed going to 85% while cranking.

I will check that harness today.

Thanks 6.0 Tech!

Pirogue

Reaction score
02bigstrokin I'm going to get into that filter today and have a look.

Thanks!!

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
After watching the video, your ipr going to 85 for a second seems normal, as you built pressure about immediately. It could be part of the tuning the way the ipr ramps up the pressure like that. Your ficm voltage is dropping way too much though, and it did sound like it cranked slightly too slow. I would put 2 batteries in it and a ficm and see how that goes. Go with the biggest batteries you can find, and stay away from optimas, diesels eat those for breakfast. Motorcraft 850s work really well.

Pirogue

Reaction score
Thank you, new batteries it will be and go from there.

Latest posts

Members online