Noob turbo question/problem

Dan V

Reaction score
Of all the various PSD sites, this group is the most knowledgeable IMO.

On to the issue. My 2001 7.3 auto is used primaryily as a tow vehicle for my GN horse trailer, which when loaded up has a GCVWR of 20-21k. I'm running, for the time being DP tunes on the F6. I recently installed a set of PIS 160/30's.

Things weren't getting overly hot in terms of EGT's, but they would get up there in the 1250-1300 range, and I really wasn't loaded up as I normally am...maybe 16-17k.

I'd been reading various stories about people installing a van turbo and how that would lower EGT 100-200. Sounded good. I also did some reading about having the compressor cover/backing plate machined to accept a 66mm wheel. I contacted Bob Riley at Dieselsite, he has a wheel exactly for that, a D66 WW2.

I sent my cover/backing plate to Bob, had it machined and installed the wheel, a Barder 360 bearing rebuild kit, a van exhaust outlet flange and a delete pedestal. When I did the swap I also installed a set of Dorman bellowed uppies.

So I get this all installed, the uppies were tough due to the rust on the manifold bolts, but I prevailed.

Over the weekend I towed my trailer and was kinda surprised that EGT were higher under the same circumstances (I traveled the same road to an event) and boost was lower. Now I can understand the lower boost because of the 1.15 ex housing, but the higher EGT is baffling to me. When I got home I checked the baby's butt connection and that looked good.

At a medium throttle (2200rpm) accelerating the EGT is at least 100 higher and the boost is 9-10psi. Where previously (granted .84 ex) I'd have 16-18 psi. Then while traveling at 65mph and coming up a shallow hill and trying to maintain speed, the EGT will start climbing slowly to 1150-1200, and little to no boost...and previously that would be 850-900 EGT and the boost would come up to 10psi or so.

Later today I'll crawl under and check the ex manifold to up pipe connection, but I'm pretty confident that will be sealed just fine.

Thanks in advance!

Dan V

Reaction score
When I went from the AD's to the 160/30's DP updated the tunes...but haven't done any tweaks as of yet for the van turbo w/D66 wheel.

Arisley

Reaction score
That is still pretty much a stock turbo. Should be fine. Have you checked for boost leaks. You can build a leak tester for cheap. Sounds like you have a boost leak.

Dan V

Reaction score
Yeah the 80T is smokey as heck until the turbo gets going. I just had it out and logged a bit of data. Empty, made 30psi peak boost with 37 psi peak back pressure. It pull like mad after about 2200 rpm when you are really in it. Just going down the road at 60mph, 1700 rpm it makes about .3-.5 psi boost.

River19

Reaction score
Yeah the 80T is smokey as heck until the turbo gets going. I just had it out and logged a bit of data. Empty, made 30psi peak boost with 37 psi peak back pressure. It pull like mad after about 2200 rpm when you are really in it. Just going down the road at 60mph, 1700 rpm it makes about .3-.5 psi boost.

What about your EGTs this time Dan? Still higher than the previous setup right?

Dan V

Reaction score
I forgot to reset the max EGT on the X-Monitor, but it didn't exceed the previous 1228 during today's data run.

Swaan

Reaction score
Personally I think your housing is too loose to drive that turbo at lower rpm. You don't have enough boost down low to keep your egts down. You need air to cool the fuel your new inj are putting in. You did the right thing by going to 66 cw. But you would be better off going with a 1.00 ex housing to drive the turbo better at lower rpm. Check for boost leaks also but your 1.15 is killing your bottom end response, and not letting you spin that compressor hard enough.

Last edited:

Dan V

Reaction score
Personally I think your housing is too loose to drive that turbo at lower rpm. You don't have enough boost down low to keep your egts down. You need air to cool the fuel your new inj are putting in. You did the right thing by going to 66 cw. But you would be better off going with a 1.00 ex housing to drive the turbo better at lower rpm. Check for boost leaks also but your 1.15 is killing your bottom end response, and not letting you spin that compressor hard enough.

Thanks....I agree with that assessment. I still have the stock GTP38, I can take the D66 wheel and machined cover/backing plate from the van turbo (I understand that the van ex turbine is slightly different than the truck ex turbine) and install that with a 1.0 non-wastegate housing on the GTP38. I'll just have a van turbo to sell is all.

The 1.15 is probably a great fit for an application using a higher rpm band than I...and with larger sticks. I need, for my application as a tow pig, to lower the rpm band some...and the 1.0 should do that.

I really don't think I have any boost or drive side leaks. I can make 32-33 psi, which given this setup is kinda on target.

Dan V

Reaction score
Here's the update.

I installed the 1.0 non WG housing. It's much better IMO. Just rolling down the road at 55-56 mph, 1700 rpms, EGT = 480/500, boost is .3/.4 psi. If you stab the pedal, you get a fair bit of smoke, but when the turbo spools, it clears up rather quickly. I'll tow with it on Friday/Sat. (20k combined), and will report back. I think the boost comes on in an area better suited for me, rather than a higher rpm that others may like.

I do have a van turbo to sell now.

psdguy95

Reaction score
I have the same van turbo your talking about. I do believe i have the 1.15 housing ( buddy of mine installed the turbo on the truck before i bought it so i may be off on the specs) and i too noticed lower boost when driving. I know for a fact i have no leaks anywhere. Egt's climb faster. Just the nature of the beast i guess. I don't care for this turbo set up to be honest. Sorry for the derail.

TARM

Reaction score
when you make air adjustments many times it requires tweaking the fuel side as well. I can not comment on DP tuning so I can not say but I would have tried to get some adjustments on the tuning to better match with the changes made on the air. I know plenty of people using that turbo without any EGT issues at all so that alone would have made me check into the tuning once I had ensured there were no other issues such as air leaks.

Latest posts

Members online