Normal EGT at idle during regen?

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Just bought my truck a few weeks ago and it did it's first regen right after I installed my Mini Maxx last night. Wasn't sure what it was doing at first as I was getting ready to shut it off after parking it.

Just as I was about to turn the key the idle started climbing. At first I thought something on the tuner was wrong but then I remembered reading that the idle increases during regen. I decided to wait it out and let it finish the regen cycle. I popped the hood and turned the heat on to help with cooling.

Switched my Mini Maxx over to EGT as the main guage and was surprised when it was reading 900+. Idle steadied out a hair over 1k and it took a little over 20 min to complete the regen. At the end the highest egt logged was 924.

I'm assuming this was all completely normal? Is it easier on the motor to regen at idle or running down the road? If down the road is better what's the best RPM/Speed?

I have a DPF delete pipe in my shop but I'm waiting on Matt to write me a custom tune as he's on his way to TS at the moment. So until I can get it deleted I'd like to know as much as I can about this retarded regen cycle.

JrStroker

Reaction score
I have a 08 6.4 but I deleted it shortly after I got it. I've been told to NOT shut it off during regen. Then afterwards let it cool off a bit. I never checked temp with in regen while idling but I do know that these trucks get pretty hot while doing their thing. I would guess 900 would be okay as these trucks can stand temps near 1300° regularly and higher for short bursts.

Maybe someone else can chime in!

fnlyfree

Reaction score
Printable View (48 KB) TSB 07-4-11 6.4L DIESEL - REGENERATION FUNCTIONAL CHARACTERISTICS

Publication Date: February 20, 2007

FORD: 2008 F-Super Duty

ISSUE: 2008 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with the 6.4L diesel engine are equipped with an oxidation catalytic converter (OC) and diesel particulate filter (DPF). The function and operation of these parts may cause some customers to perceive an issue with their vehicle.

ACTION: Review the Operating Characteristics with the customer.

OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS

Diesel particulates in the exhaust are trapped by the DPF. Regeneration is the process by which exhaust temperatures are increased so the particulates are combusted.

The frequency and length of regeneration will fluctuate as both are determined by the drive cycle. For most drive conditions, regeneration frequency will vary from 100 -600 miles (161 - 804 Km) between occurrence and last from 10 to 40 minutes. The first regeneration does not require 100 miles (161 Km) and may occur at any time. The length of regeneration is usually reduced if a constant speed above 30 MPH (48 Km/h) is maintained.

The following is a list of normal operation while the vehicle is in regeneration, and do not require repair. If you are not sure if the vehicle is in regeneration, IDS can be used to monitor the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) PID.

Engine idle speed can be 1100 to 1200 RPM in park/neutral with foot off brake. High idle speed drops to within 50 RPM of normal idle when the brake pedal is touched, PRNDL is actuated, or clutch is actuated. White smoke in cold ambients is normal and the amount will be increased during regeneration. Powertrain power is limited to 325 horsepower (HP). Engine responsiveness may be slightly different than normal operation. During initiation of regeneration, exhaust smell may be noticed - especially on new vehicles. Powertrain sound will be different including air induction noise (including flutter on deceleration or engine shut down), exhaust noise, and changes in engine radiated noise. During regeneration, exhaust temperatures are elevated. The following is also normal and may be observed by a technician using a diagnostic tool. It is not likely that a customer would be aware of these:

The throttle body is only active during the regeneration process and during shutdown. EGR is not operating during regeneration.

WARRANTY STATUS: Information Only

Another part of this said egt's up to 1200 degrees. Didn't specify engine speed though.

Last edited:

griz700rocket

Reaction score
That describes exactly what happened. Put it in park and idle climbed to just over 1k and EGT was steady between 900-920 for between 20-25 min and then idle settled back to 600 and EGT went back to ~300.

Still would like to know if idle or road is easier on the motor during regen. Everything definitely was hot. I let the motor cool for another 5 min after regen and the entire exhaust system still started popping as it cooled when I shut it off. It's never done that before.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
It doesn't really make a whole lot of difference in my opinion. Make sure you let it complete every time and keep an eye on the oil level

BFT

Reaction score
Probably driving I would guess just to circulate things. I've seen 1100+ going down a grade with barely any throttle.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im not.being an ass.but does the dmax do this the same way? Ive had an 11 and 12 currently.and have never noticed a regen.

BFT

Reaction score
It shouldn't do it at idle. Mine did when I first bought the truck and burnt the sh!t out of my nephew

Farmrod

Reaction score
Driving is a much better way to do a regen keeps cool air flowing over all the parts involved in the regen process... We have an MBE900 at work that hits 1350-1400 degrees doing a parked regen

Stroked777

Reaction score
I had the same thing with my mini maxx before I deleted the DPF. I was sitting there one day after I tuned it to the highest setting allowed with the DPF and I say it climb to 1100 and it seemed to take forever. Gotta remember if you tuned it its gunna smoke more. You won't see it smoking because the DPF stops it so its gunna fill up quicker and be more soot trapped that it has to burn off

Latest posts

Members online