OBS 05+ axle swap

diesel dane

Reaction score
We had to do a pmf 3 link instead of the 4 link. My 4wd (as low as possible) 97 looked like it would get stuck on a speed bump with the 4 link bracket. The bottom of the the bracket was SO close to the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdh1994

Reaction score
One other question I had was if using a 05+ steering box what shaft is everyone using? The factory obs to box or something else.

m_j

Reaction score
We had to do a pmf 3 link instead of the 4 link. My 4wd (as low as possible) 97 looked like it would get stuck on a speed bump with the 4 link bracket. The bottom of the the bracket was SO close to the ground

pics of the low truck plz
I want to build a low one

diesel dane

Reaction score
b67b6435771cd47b0c8c44812172ec8f.jpg

sdh1994

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the knuckle vacuum seal needs to be used if using manual hubs? I started trying the 05 axle down and don't see what purpose it does. Can't seem to find an answer.

psduser1

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the knuckle vacuum seal needs to be used if using manual hubs? I started trying the 05 axle down and don't see what purpose it does. Can't seem to find an answer.
It'll keep dirt out, other than that, no reason for them with manual hubs.
Liked them better shiny.

I meant to ask what backspacing they have? Looks like the 99-04 backspacing.

If I remember correctly, about 5" of backspace. Got a set on my ex, currently.

Vogel469

Reaction score
What are your guys doing for trac bar mount with the 05+ axle?

markfuga

Reaction score
You'll need to make your own track bar mount. I high recommend designing the mount exactly like the mount in the 05+ trucks: attaching to the frame AND engine cross member. This is the part of the swap where I've seen a lot of scary implementations. Here's my thoughts: Build a bracket out of heavy steel (I used 3/8 and 5/16 plate), Attach with larger bolts (I used the 05 donor bolts at the frame and three 1/2" bolts at the engine cross member), DO NOT WELD TO THE FRAME!

If your not a welder and/or don't have access to heavier steels then I believe there are some after market options out there to buy a bracket. I made a jig when I built mine so I can re-produce it at any time.

Take this part of the swap seriously. Think about how much stress that bracket is under when cornering hard. Then add braking into a hard corner and the stress levels multiply many times over.

This concludes our safety briefing.

Attachments

• IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 255
  • pic11.jpg
    pic11.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 254
  • pic19.jpg
    pic19.jpg
    876.6 KB · Views: 257

webb06

Reaction score
You'll need to make your own track bar mount. I high recommend designing the mount exactly like the mount in the 05+ trucks: attaching to the frame AND engine cross member. This is the part of the swap where I've seen a lot of scary implementations. Here's my thoughts: Build a bracket out of heavy steel (I used 3/8 and 5/16 plate), Attach with larger bolts (I used the 05 donor bolts at the frame and three 1/2" bolts at the engine cross member), DO NOT WELD TO THE FRAME!

If your not a welder and/or don't have access to heavier steels then I believe there are some after market options out there to buy a bracket. I made a jig when I built mine so I can re-produce it at any time.

Take this part of the swap seriously. Think about how much stress that bracket is under when cornering hard. Then add braking into a hard corner and the stress levels multiply many times over.

This concludes our safety briefing.

Interested in making another to sell? Doing this swap on a friends truck and he's yet to nail down a track bar mount.