Obs build

97stoker350

Reaction score
I have a stick in mine with the same setup and its plenty laggy. No need for another turbo. If youre really worried even after conservative tunes put a bigger exhaust housing on it

DieselFreak92

Reaction score
I've been told by many people (including matt at gearhead) stock 7.3 internals are good to 650hp driving it everyday. If you make 550hp I'm sure you'll be fine. As long as you're not ripping it everywhere.

97stoker350

Reaction score
Well I know from personal exp that is untrue. I'm in no way challenging matt's knowledge but Plenty of people on here can prove bottom end failures well below 650. Now maybe he means with his tuning it will live but how will it drive? Again I'm not calling him out. I've never ran his tunes and I also can't recall a case when a truck blew with his tunes.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
tuning and skinny pedal makes a big difference.. me, id install the windows mod on the initial break in run.. lol

live life full throttle

DlongOBS

Reaction score
i like what your doing, ive seen several bottom ends hold together with that power level easy, key to it is a very good tuner. someone that has a reputation for tuning trucks of that caliber and keeping them together. There is a local 7.3 turning 715+ on spray with stock rods and tuned by dyno proven and its still kicking for the long haul.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
It's all in what rpm the power is made. The 468 spools very low and make huge power around 1700rpm. While something like a 471 will make power up around 2300. Keeping the power later in the rpm range will help keep your rods in your block!

It wI'll be a little more laggy but thats the price you will pay to make reliable power. Or spend $$$ to build it.

Someone did mention this earlier, the quote said "larger charger"

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
TW and PHP are the grandfather's of 7.3 tuning. But each had their own trade marks. I don't like TW's touchy throttle. Dyno proven doesn't tune to a TS chip I think, I know they don't tune hydra chips. Gearhead tuning is very similar to PHP in drive ability and can be almost smokeless. Don't forget about swamps who prolly is the only tuner who uses cylinder pressure montero ng equiptment while making their tunes.

You really cannot go wrong with any of them, but it's all in what you like and who will meet your needs

Latest posts

Members online