Obs fog light mod

psdguy95

Reaction score
I'm putting sd fog lights on my truck but I have a few questions. Where can I tap into power for these? I want them to come on with the parking lights. And how do you mount them in the bumper?

Strokersace

Reaction score
Are you having them on all the time that that park lights are on? Or just want them to have power when the parks are on, but have them on a switch? Pull the dash bezel to get to the headlight switch. Find the park lights wire that doesn't dim like the dash. Not sure on the color, possibly brown. Tap that for power for them.

psdguy95

Reaction score
I want them to come on when I turn the parking lights on just like the sd are. Could I splice then into the wires that are connected to the parking light sockets. If that makes sense.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I want them to come on when I turn the parking lights on just like the sd are. Could I splice then into the wires that are connected to the parking light sockets. If that makes sense.
Yup, just use a test light and figure out which wire is hot when you turn the park lights on and tap into it behind the headlights.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Mounting is up to you. Build a bracket to your liking. As for the SD's, their fogs have "power" to operate them when the parks are on, but they still have an "on/off" switch on the dash. They're not always on. I recommend installing one of those and just using the park light wire as the trigger for power.

psdguy95

Reaction score
Mounting is up to you. Build a bracket to your liking. As for the SD's, their fogs have "power" to operate them when the parks are on, but they still have an "on/off" switch on the dash. They're not always on. I recommend installing one of those and just using the park light wire as the trigger for power.
So splice I into the hot side on the parking lights and run it to a switch. Then from the switch to the fog lights. And then ground the fog lights to the cold side on the parking lights?

chromehound

Reaction score
Heres how mine are mounted, one of the POs did the wiring and they are on any time the running lights are on and don't go off with the high beams like most trucks

fogs.jpg

transcoolin2.jpg

transcoolin1.jpg

old man dave

Reaction score
I have mine wired with a relay powered from the parking lights and light power fused from the battery. As I recall, I picked up the wire at the back of the headlight switch. Its either brown/ white tracer or brown/red tracer, not certain which one it was.

97Beast

Reaction score
It you could take some pictures and document how you mount and wire the fogs. I'm thinking about adding SD fog lights now as well.
Thanks.:thumbup:

Tom S

Reaction score
I currently have smaller Hella lights mounted in the grill. I used to have larger Hella lights mounted behind the bumper cutouts. It was easy to fab up a bracket to go behind the bumper with some flat stock. I switched when i put the transmisssion cooler behind the bumper.

psdguy95

Reaction score
Heres how mine are mounted, one of the POs did the wiring and they are on any time the running lights are on and don't go off with the high beams like most trucks
Thats how i want mine to work. I'm just trying to figure out how i want to splice them in for power.
It you could take some pictures and document how you mount and wire the fogs. I'm thinking about adding SD fog lights now as well.
Thanks.:thumbup:
Will do sir!

Smoked SD fogged lights

Thats awesome looking man. I almost bought a smoked set.

96 Stroker

Reaction score
I bought the kit off ebay and it came with eveything to hook it up and a seperate switch so I can turn them on whenever i want..

168236_495809511131_633021131_5944651_5712789_n.jpg

165525_496405601131_633021131_5953140_5457747_n.jpg

Tom S

Reaction score
To wire the lights on with the parking lights, I would put a fused relay somewhere along the passenger side fender. I would get power (use a fuse) at the starter relay. I would the find a wire at in the area of the pass side headlight that was for the parking lights. I would do a proper splice at that point to use to trigger the relay.

psdguy95

Reaction score
To wire the lights on with the parking lights, I would put a fused relay somewhere along the passenger side fender. I would get power (use a fuse) at the starter relay. I would the find a wire at in the area of the pass side headlight that was for the parking lights. I would do a proper splice at that point to use to trigger the relay.

So run a wire from the hot side of the starter relay with a fuse to a relay, then to the fog lights. Then connect the cold side on the parking lights to the cold side of the fog lights?

Tom S

Reaction score
So run a wire from the hot side of the starter relay with a fuse to a relay, then to the fog lights. Then connect the cold side on the parking lights to the cold side of the fog lights?

If you pickup one the typical relays you see at the autoparts store you will see how to do this. All you are modifying is that the wire that would be running to the switch instead will run to the parking light wire. The plus side of the relay.

psdguy95

Reaction score
I got it now. lol. Well my lights came in today. Now i just have to find a wireing harness for them. Is there a piece at the auto part store that will plug into the socket on the fog lights instead of having to use the ford harness?

StrokerTurbo7.3

Reaction score
I dont have SD lights but I still have dogs and I just used flat stock and made brackets. they aren't pretty but they work perfect. As for wiring, I just have it wired separate with a switch.

Members online

No members online now.