OBS wont start

mattymx

Reaction score
The truck has been dead for a few weeks because I have not had a lot of time to look at it.

WTS light comes on, tach moves, and a new GPR.

I am not getting any signs of the injectors firing. Nothing coming from the tailpipe like unburned fuel or smoke. A buzz test was ran and all 8 injectors are buzzing and sound great, but the App states IDM failure. I dont get that at all....

IPR duty cycle at start up hits 70% but I only show .25V ICP. I unplugged the ICP sensor and I get the same readings. Fuel bowl is full of fuel.

Could the IDM be bad if the injectors buzz? I'm totally stumped.

mattymx

Reaction score
Here is a photo I just took of a wire that was not connected near the IPR. I could not find where it was meant to go. Any ideas?

i-ngqBJzG-XL.jpg

ghohouston

Reaction score
I think that's the fuel bowl heater wire. It probably shorted out on the previous owner, and he just unplugged it, or previous owner unplugged it out of fear of the heater shorting out

ghohouston

Reaction score
Have you taken a good look at this?

Rusty

That too! The weather pack seal turns to mush/gummy substance after enough diesel gets on it. Ive seen it happen on quite a few 7.3's. While you're in there, check the tin nut on the ipr. Good luck, it's a royal pain in the ass to reach the ipr on an obs with the stock fuel bowl in place.

mattymx

Reaction score
Have you taken a good look at this?

Rusty

I looked and could not see any issues. But since I have measured 70%DC on the IPR, I think the wires are OK.

From looking on google, that wire goes on the fuel bowl to a sensor that I do not have. And I am the original owner of the truck so it is not something that has ever been done by anyone else. Here is a photo of what it looks like is the wire in question.

OBS-HPX%20016.jpg

Both wires on the side of the bowl on my truck are fine and in place. This is a third wire that looks to not have a home.:shrug:

rusty1161

Reaction score
It might be the issue if you're showing 70% ICP and it won't start. Mine wasn't found until I pulled the connector out. I used an old injector plug from an old VC gasket I had laying around to replace it. I hope you find your issue soon. It must be a nice day up on the mountain with our little heat wave this week.

Good luck.

Rusty

mattymx

Reaction score
I have worked the last 14 days straight and have not look at it any further. Now it's snowing so it will be a while longer.

Latest posts

Members online