Od light flashing/p0741 code

95powersmoker

Reaction score
Guys, drove the truck this morning and once above 45-50 miles an hour, od light started flashing and it wouldn't shift into overdrive. Ran it down the highway to get where I was going. Temps didn't get above 140* but that's higher than I had before when it would shift into overdrive. Drove it home and same thing but I was able to get it into overdrive after goosing the throttle just a hair. Got home and pulled codes and the only one trans related was p0741. Can you guys give me any direction? Failed torque converter? It has always gone into overdrive slowly, not a quick sharp shift but a lagging one, as long as I've owned it. Any other ideas? As far as I know, the torque converter was replaced on the truck at some point. Not sure what else was replaced. I've checked fluid and level is right where it should be and doesn't look to be bad or smell terrible.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
It could be a stuck torque converter control valve, or a stuck solenoid, or a leaking seal on the input shaft, or a bad torque converter.

95powersmoker

Reaction score
It could be a stuck torque converter control valve, or a stuck solenoid, or a leaking seal on the input shaft, or a bad torque converter.

Thanks Mark. If there are any documents you might have that could help me narrow it down. Looks like replacing the torque converter would take care of 2 of your suggestions. Where is the solenoid you are speaking of?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.