odd electrical, dash/cluster issues

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
ok. 2010 f-450 xlt, sc, cab and chassis.

we have the battery light on in the dash. that's pretty explanatory, but not really.

starts fine, runs fine, no issues other than what i'm going to list in a minute, operational wise.

here's where we get kinda confused.

driving down the road the dash will randomly die. all the guages and message center will simply cease to work, like you turned the key off.

now, as a side note, if you pay attention when you turn up your own radio, you will see the lines that increase when you turn up the volume. we generally have it turned up to 4 lines. when the cluster dies, it's like it turns down 2 lines. doesn't die, just turns down a little.

i can also notice that boost falls slightly, and is slightly more laggy when starting from a stop.

when the cluster dies, turn signals do not work, but brake lights do.

when the cluster dies, i can turn off the key while driving down the road, just a fast off and on so the truck does not die and stays running, and i get cluster back. that works every time. till it stops working again, then rinse and repeat, and i have cluster back.

i would imagine that if my alternator or batteries are failing, i would notice starting issues by now.

only thing i have yet to do, is read for codes. my livewire is never where the 450 is.

looking for suggestions, or places to start, so i can get this ironed out.

it's still under warranty, but it's starting to get nice out, and the tree business picking back up, and i don't want to be without a truck for how ever long ford takes to stroke one off.

if there is things i can look at first, great.

Latest posts

Members online