Odd Sound at RPM

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Pulled the fiver to a night shoot last night. Leaving a stop sign I noticed an odd sound.
It is almost like a metal to metal howl.
You have to be in 2nd or 3rd, TC unlocked and RPM above 2250 (Might be throttle and load though also)
If you get more into or out of the throttle it goes away.
Higher boost, lower boost goes away (Again might be because if you let off or get into it more it goes away)
One the TC locks and I can load the engine up to 40+ PSI no odd sounds.
I checked the up pipes and cant see any soot, the U bend for the Turbos, boots are new from Diesel Site and they have not budged.

I am going to try another tune and see if it is tune related. I was on the Tow from Innovative which has been in the truck for well over a year.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Truck has to have a load on it.
Rev and hold at 2250 wont do it.
Brake stall it, it will do it.
Might be like a tuning fork or whistle sound.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Well found the source of the sound, DAMNNN!!!!!
Passenger side up pipe decided to start leaking at the bellow. :wtf:
I go back to work tomorrow and dont have enough time at home in the next few weeks to fix it. So I have to pay someone to do it, which I am not fond of someone touching my toys, well one of the toys. :demon:
Thanks to Erikclaw for advice and bigrpowr for more advice and more fun parts. Thanks to both for also helping me spend money!!!:fustrate:
I am taking the truck to the place that has Erics, Browns Diesel. Seem like solid guys.
They are going to pull the cab, my idea was to change both up pipes, doing both, pull cab.
Well since they are going to pull the cab, might as well make it worth it.
BD Turbos (58.5 and 73), Studs, gaskets, heads surfaced, oil cooler, water pump, thermostats, 6.0 BD Manifolds and up pipes.
I will post up what I think of the turbos towing since that is pretty much the only use of the truck.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
No one had the BD manifolds so I am just putting 6.0 manifolds and up pipes from Rudys.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

DWhite

Reaction score
Yeah I run the BD 6.0 Up pipes and manifolds and had Mike at No limit order them around 3 or 4 months ago and took a month to get them since the back order.

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Andddddd I give it 6-8 months till we see a cracked piston thread! Same thing I did, Seems every time bigger turbos go on a 6.4 they crack a piston, but until then it will be a tow monster like mine!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Hope not. I usually only run the tow tune so I am hoping it doesnt crack a piston. Might move up to the street depending on the truck acts. It towed great before not really needing more power (58 from Bakersfield to Tehachapi I could tow at 60 pretty easily and EGT's under 1000) just figured pull cab add fun stuff.
I am hoping my theory on pistons is correct. High EGT's then cooled off quick or high EGT's for a long period of time.
If it does then I guess I will have a clone.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Yeah I run the BD 6.0 Up pipes and manifolds and had Mike at No limit order them around 3 or 4 months ago and took a month to get them since the back order.

Thats what I was told. I am hoping to have my truck back new years week. We shall see though. Hope is the word actual I bet not. If not I get to drive my brother in laws 12 to pull my trailer, dont know if that will be a good thing or not. Might want one.

DWhite

Reaction score
Thats what I was told. I am hoping to have my truck back new years week. We shall see though. Hope is the word actual I bet not. If not I get to drive my brother in laws 12 to pull my trailer, dont know if that will be a good thing or not. Might want one.

You'll enjoy it a lot, my deleted 6.7 pulls my trailer a lot better than my 6.4 does by far. If my 6.7 wasn't such of a nice truck, I would turn it into the work truck and retire the 6.4 to full time play toy.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
My brother has towed with my truck and old me on the tow tune they are close. The extra gear he said is the big difference but speed of same hill is close. It is a nice truck. I have driven it a few times. The biggest problem I have with it is I have the title of mine.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Well she is having some changes.
7351dbf6037fdc4eb07ee88baa33fd7c.jpg

c84614d2d116bd9a1103b30a8f62f93e.jpg

17b57d44ccd17f531020e3b5e6f84ed1.jpg

890d9b6d42c4f6c1201a6dd298a7e1b5.jpg

f279a31d51b3056208d10f42d758bc14.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

webb06

Reaction score
Well she is having some changes.
7351dbf6037fdc4eb07ee88baa33fd7c.jpg
c84614d2d116bd9a1103b30a8f62f93e.jpg
17b57d44ccd17f531020e3b5e6f84ed1.jpg
890d9b6d42c4f6c1201a6dd298a7e1b5.jpg
f279a31d51b3056208d10f42d758bc14.jpg

I still don't see why some shops pull the chassis out from under the cab, but everyone does it different I guess.

Anything changed from the list you posted above?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I still don't see why some shops pull the chassis out from under the cab, but everyone does it different I guess.

Anything changed from the list you posted above?

Thats how i do it every time. Makes it alot better for lighting and space. Most of the time i am pulling engines anyway so you need to be able to get a fork lift in there. its not that bad to line the cab back up either. Esp with the fork lift

webb06

Reaction score
Thats how i do it every time. Makes it alot better for lighting and space. Most of the time i am pulling engines anyway so you need to be able to get a fork lift in there. its not that bad to line the cab back up either. Esp with the fork lift

I never do. I don't use a forklift though. So that could change things if I did.

Latest posts

Members online