Odd starting issue on my '13 6.7

RyanD

Reaction score
68K miles
All stock except for Amps and a bumper mount light bar

Recently did fuel filters/oil change - purge was successful, started up fine. The last couple of days when I start it with the key it sort of turns over/dies/turns over/dies 2 or 3 times before it starts. Thinking it was battery, I cleaned 2 really crusty terminals. When I cleaned them yesterday it then started fine. Left it overnight and it did the turn over/die thing again today.

Whats really bizarre is that if I use the remote start, it cranks right up to life, no hesitation or stutter. Batteries are OEM as far as I can tell.

Trying to figure out next steps - it's been rainy and wet here in South Texas the last week or so, and I haven't had a chance to test the batteries, although both indicators are green. It's almost like a stuck starter.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

RyanD

Reaction score
OK - very weird - it started right up. It sat for about half an hour since I got back.

Could it be a vampiric draw? All I need is to need to hunt down an electrical "leak".

If I remember, I will try grabbing a video tomorrow morning with a colder start.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
May just be batteries. When you physically turn the key there is more amp draw, especially while.waiting on the glow plugs. The ac will kick on, your steps come out when you opened and closed the door, interior lights come on, etc. If your batteries are venting and corroding your cables, could be a combination of battteries and cables. It may have to sit for them to bleed off the extra voltage from the alternator charging, which is why it takes overnight, or a couple hours to show up.

RyanD

Reaction score
Thank you. Batteries, if they're OEM like I suspect, are likely about 4 years old. In my experience with driving other vehicles in this goofy Texas weather, they're just about due for replacement.

I checked cables as best I was able, and the corrosion was limited to the connections themselves at the terminal. I've got a golf cart that had a crusty cable, so I've seen those signs.

Since I'm asking, what are the best/preferred replacement batteries?

May just be batteries. When you physically turn the key there is more amp draw, especially while.waiting on the glow plugs. The ac will kick on, your steps come out when you opened and closed the door, interior lights come on, etc. If your batteries are venting and corroding your cables, could be a combination of battteries and cables. It may have to sit for them to bleed off the extra voltage from the alternator charging, which is why it takes overnight, or a couple hours to show up.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I like motorcrafts personally, put 850ccas in. Typically will run you about 140per. Replace them both. They have a great warranty, 3yr free replacement, and 100month pro rate, and if you pay anything on prorate, warranty starts all over. Here in az they last about 2 yrs,so the warranty comes into use pretty often.

JRLott

Reaction score
I've never had bad luck with an Interstate in anything I've put them in. In a few cases they solved problems, which was expected since the replaced batteries were cheap junk.

RyanD

Reaction score
It was batteries. $302 out the door and now she starts like a champ!

Latest posts

Members online