Odd turbo sound.

F15CrewDawg

Reaction score
My 6.4 is my first turbo diesel, my first turbo anything for that matter. So still in some pretty unfamiliar territory. I threw my first mods on a couple weeks ago and loaded the Spartan 275 cause it was pretty wet out at the time. We've had good weather so I upped it to the 300EL and immediately noticed a new sound I'd never heard the truck make when letting off the skinny pedal. It caught me kind of off guard, I thought something had come apart for a second because I could feel it in the floor pan. The VGTDC doesn't seem to be doing anything crazy and haven't been able to see or hear any leaks from the up-pipes, in between turbos, or down pipes. It might not be anything but thought it would better to ask and be safe than not and be sorry. Is this normal ops or should I dig into it?

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Thats just turbo bark buddy. Its air coming back out through the turbos when you let off. It isnt good on them, but there isnt anything wrong.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
that is totally normal. its turbo bark. its the shoving of air back through your intake after you let off the throttle under load.. all our trucks do it

edit: JD beat me too it :(

WoodBoy

Reaction score
If you can, whenever you are making high boost numbers, try to ease off of the skinny instead of suddenly letting go, that way most of the air will flow through the motor instead of forceing against the turbo veins and shaft

Latest posts

Members online